Chapter 40

(Author's Note: If you would wish to listen to Chapter 40 parts 1 and 2 on audio, please click the videos. Thank you)

  During the drive, I stare out the window, letting my mind wander- maybe this is not a good idea to be going to this party. When we arrive at the frat house, I cringe at the number of cups and beer bottles on the green lawn; not to mention the number of people outside holding bottles of beer and smoking bongs- what I assume is marijuana. I forgot how big these parties can get. 

   "Are you sure you can handle this alone?" Camile asks me and I nod in response. "Okay, call me if you need anything. Don't hesitate, alright girl?"

  "Alright, I will," I say as I grab my purse and climb out of the car; making sure to pull down my skirt some more and adjust the blouse.

  I watch as Camile's truck drives off. I appreciate her wanting to come in, but I think I would be better off going in alone without her tagging along as my big sister who is protecting me.   

   Walking on the lawn, I'm stumbling with every step I take, and I feel like everyone is staring at me, which can't be possible because no one would look at me. I am overdramatic. 

  I walk up the stairs and stumble on one of the steps, tripping over my own feet when I feel hands catch me. It's not the usual scent of peppermint, but it smells different like the person had too much to drink. I look up and notice brown eyes and almond tone skin, he's as tall as Chris, but it's definitely not him.

  "Thank you," I say to the man who kept me from falling on my ass.

  "You're welcome." He stares down at me and I give him a smile as I walk past him. He follows me when I head inside the frat house full of people; one of the corners is the kitchen and I spot a boy doing a body shot off a girl wearing only panties with no bra. As I turn my attention to the other room that has a pole table, I see the boy with brown eyes right by my side. He hands me a cup full of brown liquor. I decline with "thank you, but I'm okay," but he doesn't take it from my hand. I don't drink it; Camile taught me not to accept drinks from anyone, especially strangers because you don't know what they put in it or if they spike it. It's a good lesson to remember. 

    "I never have seen you before. Are you new to this school? Perhaps a freshman?" He smiles and takes a step, cornering me toward the wall. 

   "No, I am not new to this school nor a freshman. I'm a senior," I inform him.

  "A senior? What's your name, kitten?"

  Kitten? Is that supposed to be a nickname for me? He does not even know me. Who is this guy? He seems intimidating, and the way he smiles at me makes my skin crawl. "It's Sussianna. But if you-"

  "Sussianna? That's a unique name. I like it," he cuts me off. 

 "Huh, thanks, I guess, but if you excuse me, I really need to get going," I mutter as I push past him, but he stops me by placing his hand on the wall, blocking me not to move.

   "What's your rush?"

   "I have to go and meet my friend," I announce and try to move around him, but he still blocks my path. 

  "You know someone here?" He asks.

  "Chris," I say quickly.

   "Chris? Chris is your friend? Are we talking about the same Chris Suave?"