Chapter 48

After spending the rest of the morning and the majority of the afternoon with Christine, we lavished ourselves by getting our hair done, and Christine cuts her hair to an extremely short bob with blonde highlights which I thought was courageous, she dares me to do the same, but I refuse with a smile. However, I do end up cutting my hair into multiple long layers.

   When we were done at the hair salon, she takes me to an Italian restaurant and I pay for lunch since it was the least I can do, especially after she bought me that gown, plus my haircut. During the whole day when we were going places, her bodyguards kept right by our side, although, they remain their distance, trying not to look conspicuous. Even though her security team was nearby, I enjoyed spending time with her, she's great to talk to and makes me laugh the entire time I'm with her. I wouldn't have it any other way, and I hope that my day doesn't get ruined.

  By the time we return to Chris's house, I notice his car is in the driveway along with a black ford pickup truck, and my eyes widen with confusion. How odd? He usually keeps his precious car in the garage. Did he go out today? And more importantly who's visiting him?

  When we walk inside the house, we find Chris laying across the leather couch with his laptop and a notebook on his thighs. He has a black pen between his teeth and looks deep into reading something on the web. I assume he's working, but it's strange since the term has ended and there shouldn't be any assignments.

  "What are you doing?" I ask him.

  He looks up through his computer before closing his laptop and shoving it in his bag, and for some reason looks guilty.

  When I head to sit beside Chris, I hear another man's voice mumble something. I turn to see Adam standing in the kitchen, and immediately, I stop my movements.

  "Sussianna," he greets me. I feel his dark brown eyes, almost black haunting me.

  "Adam," my voice is small, hesitating. Why does this man freak me out so much? And why is he here?

  Chris sets his bag aside and walks toward me, cautiously. He throws his arms around my waist, and I don't know why but I feel like he's protecting me.

  "It's a nice surprise to see you here," he mutters with a smirk.

  "I could say the same to you," I smile with sarcastic sweetness.

  He looks at me with a smirk and then to Christine, "Who's this, Chris?"

   Chris stiffens. I look at him to see his face contorted with rage as he stares at Adam. "My sister."

  "Enchante, (nice to meet you,)" he says as he walks over to Christine and grabs one of her hands- that is not holding the suit bag- and kisses it.

  "Charmed I'm sure," she says with disgust and quickly removes her hand away from him.

  "There are two beautiful women here," he pauses, creepy, and his eyes flicker to Christine and then to me.

  I feel Chris's arms tighten around me. His squeeze causes my lungs to clench and I try to bring air in. I can feel my muscles straining and the thoughts in my head turn from fear to a dizzy confusion. "Chris," I whisper out of breath as I place my hands on him and loosen his grip a little.

  "Sussianna seems to be already taken, so that leaves you, Christine."

  "Dude stop that's my sister, besides she's..." Chris tries to say but Adam cuts him off.

  "Will you shut up! I got this." He shouts, his eyes resting unwillingly on me for one short second, and I shiver.

  Chris holds up his hands while shaking his head. "Alright, it's your funeral," he whimpers to himself as he puts his hand on my shoulders and rubs anxiously against me.