Chapter 43

When I enter the kitchen, I notice no sign of Chris. Hmm, that's weird I thought he had walked in here. Was I mistaken?

   I spot Ms. Brooks in the kitchen. She gives me a buoyant glance, then returns back to cooking dinner which smells like chicken or shrimp quesadillas, I can't tell but it smells great either way. "Good evening Ms. Martinez, Mr. Sauve informed me you will be joining him and Ms. Sauve for dinner this evening. Is there anything, in particular, you would like me to make for you?" She asks as she looks up at me.

   "Thank you, but no. What you have there smells delicious." I smile. Besides, I would not want her to go through any trouble cooking me something else, and anyway what she's making smells divine. In fact, it's making my mouth water already.

  "Okay, if you're sure... Are you sure I can't get you something right now? Perhaps water?"

  "No, I'm fine. Thank you."

  "Well, if there is anything you need, let me know," she tells me and I smile at her.

  Well, she is offering so I ask her where Chris might be.

  "I think he's in the wine cellar," she informs me.

  "A wine cellar?" I ask out loud.

  "Yes, miss," she nods.

  Well of course he has that. I shouldn't be surprised he has one. It seems like this place would have many different rooms with something unknown inside.

  "Where exactly is the wine cellar?" I question as I tilt my head to the side.

  "Through the hallway right over there," she moves her chin to where there is a dark endless hallway. The hall has straight wooden walls on each side, as a matter of fact, it shows nothing but darkness.

   I take a breath before I walk through the hallway. Every few seconds, I pass a different set of doors with them being polished dark wood. I bypass them all until I reach the one wooden door that is halfway open. Once I place my hand on it- it makes a creaking noise.

  Why does this feel like a horror movie? I ask myself... Gosh, I need to not watch horror movies anymore.

   I slowly enter the room, darkness fills it except for a little shining light leading to what I can tell is a clear acrylic wine rack- giving the illusion that the bottles are floating. For a second, I thought they were actually floating in the air until I felt them with my own two hands. I look around and find no windows or doors to access the outside world; it feels like I am in an underground cave.

   I walk further into the room as I notice Chris bending down and grabbing a wine bottle from the shelf rack. He glances at me, "So you found me?"

  "As a matter of fact, I wasn't really looking for you. I just happen to run into you," I lie. I didn't want him to know I was looking for him.

  "Hmm, sure," he mutters as he stands up to his feet.

  "You have a nice collection of wine," I say quickly as I shift my eyes to the old vintage wines which have dust on their bottles.

  He narrows his eyes and I can tell he knows I am changing the subject by the way he's looking at me. However, that doesn't stop him from talking about his collection, "Yeah this is one of my sister's favorites..." He lifts up a bottle, so I can see it clearly. "It's a 1999 Zind Humbrecht Pinot Gris Rangen Thann Clos Saint Urbain, it also has a mouth-watering taste of candied blood oranges lightly dusted with botrytis-caused spiciness. Creamed with red, yellow, and white fruits are interspersed with earth, minerals, and gravel in this complex concentrated full-bodied behemoth. This wine is muscular but still has a graceful taste to it... But that's what the description says," he chuckles.