Chapter Twenty-One: Hogwarts March

With an exciting start to the month of April the rest of the month passed by rapidly. The days had started to blur together, and it was now the end of May. All the students were focusing on their end of year exams, OWLS, and NEWTS. Gwen had spent most of her afternoons studying with the other Hufflepuffs in her year since the beginning of the month. Even though she wasn't close with all of them it had been a tradition of theirs to form a big study group at the end of the year, usually starting the first week of May, and this year had been no exception. It was one of her favorite things about her house. Everyone had a strong suit and subject they were best at which allowed each of them to help each other. Gwen always ran study sessions of Transfigurations and Muggle Studies (which now the only other Hufflepuff taking it was Wayne), Hannah ran Herbology, Justin ran Charms, Ernie ran Defense Against the Dark Arts, Susan ran Potions, Lily ran Divination, Zacharias ran Study of Ancient Runes, Wayne Hopkins ran History of Magic. They basically had every subject covered between all of them, and the ones they didn't excel at took turns based on the subject, or recruited an older member of their house for help.

"Gwen you're up. Teach us to transfigure." Zacharias gestured her to the front of the room. They had been able to find an empty classroom for all of them to study in. Everyone had an assigned day to teach their lessons. Two students would present an afternoon and they each got an hour to two hours depending on how demanding the subject was, and how many other students were taking it.

Gwen took a deep breath and walked to the front of the room. She pulled out of her bag matches, pawns, and buttons. "Hannah, will you make sure everyone gets one of these?" Hannah stood up and grabbed the objects from Gwen and placed one of each object on the table in front of everyone. "Okay, so last week we finished going through foundations, basics, and types of spells. This time we are gonna practice Transformation spells. We'll start easy with matches to needles. Thank you, Hannah."

"Of course." Hannah placed the extra in front of Gwen, as Gwen pulled her wand out.

"The main thing to remember with any and all transforming spells is to focus on what you want the object to become. Visualize it if you need to." Gwen took a second to look at the match in front of her. She started to visualize the silver needles in front of her. Sharp, slim, pointed. Her mind had started to stray from the needle to who had casted the charm. The memory intruded her thoughts. Gwen hadn't performed this charm since she had helped Draco at the beginning of the school year. The thought of him made her stomach clench and her feel slightly angry. She rolled out her shoulders to remove the thought. Sewing needle.

Ting.

With the flick of her wrist the match had changed. "Everyone got it?" Gwen looked up and everyone nodded. Most of them could do this charm no problem, after all it was something they had been practicing since first year, but Gwen thought it never hurt anyone to go back to the basics.

"Very good, Susan. Nice one, Justin." Gwen stopped in front of Zacharias whose sewing needle was still made out of wood. "That's pretty close, Zach."

"I'll just always be rubbish at transfigurations." Zach said defeated.

"With that attitude you will be." Gwen replied. She flicked her wand and returned the match to its original state. "Try again. Remember to breathe and focus."

Zach rolled his eyes and straightened himself back up. He twisted his wrist and shot the spell at the match. In front of them lay not a silver needle, but a wooden one. "I told you."

"You have the wrong form. Here," Gwen moved behind him and placed his arm in the right position. Another intrusive memory entered her mind. She closed her eyes tightly and dropped Zach's arm.