Chapter Twenty-Six: Flourish and Blotts

"School supply lists are here!" Angela shouted from the back of the house.

It was the last week in August now, and Gwen would be on the Hogwarts Express in just a few days. She found it hard to believe she had been at her grandparent's house for a full month now. Her routine was so solidified that it was almost like she was back in school, but without the stress and the homework.

Every day over the past month she would wake up as the sun rose and eat breakfast with her cousins and grandparents. Then the five of them would do some sort of task or chore around the house to keep it "myth condition" as Cyrus said. At lunch, they would eat together again before everyone got some free time. Gwen often used this time to reply to her letters, most of which were from Fred.

Fred and Gwen's correspondence had gone from none in July to every other day in August. They wrote back and forth about what seemed like nothing, but to Gwen it was everything. It was always silly things like the prank he had pulled on George in the morning or what he had eaten for breakfast, but no matter what it was it made her smile all the same.

Gwen had also been writing to Hannah, Ernie, and Justin, however not nearly as frequently. Hannah had come back from her family trip to Germany and from the tone of her letters had loved every second of it, Ernie was apparently so bored he started reading his textbooks for fun, and Justin had been to another one of his mother's sisters weddings and made sure to note how it was quite dull compared to the Yule Ball.

After she finished her letter-writing she would usually bake or embroider with her grandma, but she preferred to bake when given an option between the two. She had learned all her skills in the art of pastry, cookie, and cake making from her Grandma Angela and her dad, and the three often bonded over it. Her favorite things to make were snickerdoodle cookies, banana bread, and lemon cake. Then her family would eat dinner, get ready for bed, and repeat the cycle again.

"Gwen! Come get your list!"

"Sorry!" Gwen sprinted down the stairs and met her grandma and Atlas in the living room.

"Here you are dear," said Angela as she passed the letter to Gwen.

She opened the letter and found the usual: new textbooks, potion ingredients, and general supplies.

"Isn't it a little late in the summer for these to be sent?"

"I think so," she replied.

"Hmm, well, Atlas we should go to Diagon Alley soon and get all these things for you," Angela read over the list again. "Let's plan to go on Thursday."

"Alright," said Atlas. Gwen watched as her face formed a nervous smile.

"Aren't you excited? You'll finally get your own wand and maybe even an owl," Gwen beamed.

"Yeah, I guess," Atlas sighed and looked at the floor.

"Can I invite my friend Hannah to go shopping with us, Grandma?"

"The more the merrier!"

"I'll go to write to her now. Thanks, Grandma, you're the best!" Gwen kissed her cheek before going back into her room.

The room she and Atlas shared now looked completely lived in, unlike it had when she had first arrived. Phoenix was curled up on top of the piles of paper on the desk between the two beds. Gwen started to look around for any other parchment but quickly realized she would have to disturb her cat's slumber.

"I'm sorry," she pulled at the paper under his body.

Phoenix huffed loudly and stretched his body out further on the paper.