Chapter Nine: November 1st

Gwen rubbed the sleep out of her eyes. Her room looked brighter than it usually did in the morning. She went to reach for her nightstand, but nothing was there. She put her wrist to her face. Her watch was still on.

That's weird. It's already 10:30.

She looked around the room. She wasn't in her bed. She ran her hands on the plush, it felt like the big couches in the common room. Gwen raised her head. She was still wearing her clothes from the day before. The fire had died down to only embers. She sat up on the couch. She had expected to see a mess from the party the night before, but the house elves had tidied up.

At least I'm not the only who fell asleep out here.

There were a few other kids asleep on the floor in front of the fire and in armchairs in other parts of the room. Some were even from other houses. Cedric was asleep on the other side of the room with his head against an armchair. In the armchair Cho was curled up still asleep.

Gwen couldn't remember most of the party from the night before. She did remember the overwhelming excitement and the taste of the red currant rum passing her lips. The last thing she vividly remembered was the conversation she had with Cedric. A wave of guilt passed over her. She had to go apologize to her sister today. She had put it off for long enough.

She stood up and made her way into her room so she could get ready for the day. Her head faintly pounded as she chugged a glass of water that was sitting on her nightstand. It was accompanied with a note.

Drink this and take two of these when you wake up. Hannah.

Hannah was truly the mom friend of her group. She could almost guarantee that Ernie and Justin woke up to a similar note next to their beds as well. When she had picked up the two tiny pills on the paper she noticed something had been written on the other side of the note. Through the paper she saw the doodle of a snake.

Her body went numb. Did Hannah read the note? Gwen didn't even remember leaving the note out. The pounding in her head amplified tenfold. Had she accidentally told Hannah about her and Draco. Maybe Hannah didn't even notice the writing on the other side. Gwen thought optimistically.

Gwen was so distracted getting ready she almost put on her class robes. She caught herself right before she put on her tie. She settled on a pair of baggy jeans and a gray crewneck.

By the time she had finished getting ready for the day it was noon.She smiled to herself.

Seven and a half hours.

Gwen made her way into the Great Hall for lunch and joined her friends. She had decided that she wasn't going to bring up the note unless Hannah did first. She already had enough to worry about with Freya.

"Good morning sleepy head." Hannah said as she sat down.

"I've been up for a while." Gwen defended.

"Well you were still asleep when we left at 10 o'clock." said Justin.

"Okay, I've been up for an hour and a half. It could have been worse though. Other people were asleep in the common room. Like Zacharias, James, Cedric, and Cho."

"And yet they all managed to make their way out of the common room before you." Ernie teased.

Gwen just rolled her eyes, and began stuffing her face. She hadn't realized how hungry she had been. Just then Draco walked into the hall, he was wearing a tight black turtleneck paired with black slacks, and Gwen had felt another hunger take over her body. She thought he looked good in the Slytherin uniform, but this was a different kind of handsome. It made him look toned and strong. The dark color accentuated the white glow of his skin which was subtly contrasted by the sets of rings on his fingers. His hair looked soft as it reflected the candle light of the Great Hall. She watched as he walked to the Slytherin table. He walked with such confidence in his stride. The whole room seemed to freeze. He caught her staring and raised his eyebrows in acknowledgment. She felt heat surge through her body.