Chapter One: Kings Cross Station

"Gwen! Freya! Hurry down here with your trunks if you want to say goodbye to your brother" Pearl Thomas-Thatcher shouted to her two daughters from downstairs.

"Coming!" Gwen shouted down the hall. Gwendolyn Thatcher, who only went by Gwen at this point, had been rushing all morning to gather her most precious belongs to take with her to Hogwarts. Gwen was entering her fourth year, and a proud Hufflepuff like most of her family. The summer time was the only time she got to see or talk to her muggle friends from childhood, and part of her always dreaded leaving them. However, more of her was always excited to return to school. She walked out her bedroom door dragging her heavy trunk across the hall.

"Hey! Watch where you are going!" Freya exclaimed. Gwen's head stirring with thoughts had clouded her vision and accidentally pushed her older sister into the wall. Freya was a seventh year Ravenclaw. She was tall, athletic, and driven. If Freya hadn't been so set on being unique she would probably have been sorted into Hufflepuff with the rest of her family.

"Sorry. You know for a Ravenclaw you could use your head more." Gwen teased. Gwen had light brown hair, a curvy body, and soft blue eyes. Her face always held a slight pout, but more often then not she was smiling amongst her friends.

"Gwen." warned her mother, Pearl. "I hope you both get along better when I'm not around. Now hurry up and eat the train leaves in two hours." Their mother had set the table for five: Gwen the youngest, Freya the Ravenclaw, Pearl the mother, Duncan the oldest, and Henry the muggle. The Thatcher children were all half-blood and loved it. To them it was like living the best of both worlds. They loved both worlds equally and would not want it any other way. Gwen's parents were as Henry put it "destined to meet". Henry had been a young handsome doctor at a local hospital doing his residency to become a pediatrician. Pearl was a young beautiful healer trying to learn muggle solutions to injuries that hadn't quiet been perfected in the wizarding world. Henry was stitching up a young boys arm, and when he looked up and it was like magic. He knew that Pearl was it. Pearl instantly felt the connection to Henry. They had been inseparable ever since, and that was 26 years ago.

"Aw! Do they have to go? I think I'll miss them too much." Henry said dramatically using his napkin to invisible tears from his eyes. Gwen loved her dad more than anyone else in the whole world. She had been teased at school many times by certain Slytherins for being proud of her muggle father. She always pitied these people. To her there was nothing cooler then getting to experience the muggle world. She loved soccer, Disney movies, sitcoms, the internet, and couldn't imagine trying to live her life without any of it.

"Dad." Gwen went and tightly hugged her father. "You know it won't be that long. I'll be home sooner than you even realize for Christmas. Right Freya?"

"Of course!" Freya went and joined their group hug. Even as the "black sheep" of the family she fit in well. "Plus you'll have Duncan around until he gets a real job."

"Being a breeder is a real job." Duncan snapped back. Duncan was freshly graduated from Hogwarts, and excelled in care for magical creatures. Duncan had also been in Hufflepuff house like his sister and mother.

Pearl came behind Duncan and kissed his cheek. "Of course it is baby, and Freya should be nicer to her brother when she won't see him for three months."

The family continued to joke and tease through breakfast enjoying each others company. As time ticked on Gwen's excitement grew inside her. Once her family piled into the car excluding Duncan they drove to Kings Cross station. Upon arrival Freya helped her dad unpack the two girls trunks and the family owl, Tillie. The four pushed through the crowds of muggles and wizards alike until finally running through Platform 9 3/4.

"Please write to us Freya, both of you. I don't think you realize how hard it is on both of us when you are away." Pearl said trying to hide the mist in her eyes.

"Mom, will there ever be a year you don't cry?" Gwen smiled.

"Yes, once you're finally through school and I don't have to miss you both for months at a time." she squeezed her daughters tight.

The family finished their goodbyes and placed their belongings on the train. Freya ran off to her friends the second she set foot on the train. Gwen looked around for the compartment her friends would be seated in. She looked carefully through the windows trying to walk fast enough to look as though she knew where she was going, but not accidentally walk past the compartment.

Not in compartment three. Not in Four. Not in five. Not in si-

"Watch it, Thatcher." sniggered a familiar voice. Gwens eyes glanced slowly up to meet the silver eyes that had just addressed her.

"Sorry." She said trying to avoid confrontation. Gwen tried to be pleasant to anyone when possible, but some people made it very difficult.

"Was that your sad, little muggle father out there?" Malfoy stared. He was alone. He must not have met up with Crabbe and Goyle from who he was never separate. Gwen had always thought he could have been quite attractive if he didn't have the personality of a wet sock.

"My father is not sad. He is a very good and strong m-" She was cut off with a sharp inhale of breath as Malfoy had put his hand on her waist to move past her.

"Whatever," He said under his breath as he walked away.

Gwen regained her composure and tried to conceal a blush. She held her head up high and continued making her way down the train. She had finally reached the compartment with her closest friends. Inside sat Hannah Abbott, Ernie Macmillan, and Justin Finch-Fletchley.

"Gwen!" Hannah stood up and hugged her. She scooted over in her seat to make room.

"How was everyone's summer?" asked Gwen. The four shared stories about the trips they had gone on. Hannah had spent the summer in the countryside with her cousins. Ernie didn't go anywhere, but did say he spent most of the summer listening to quidditch and following the Quidditch World Cup. Justin who was muggle born spent his summer with some muggle cousins and travelled Europe.

They group continued to laugh and catch up as the train barreled its way towards Hogwarts. The four of them excited for the start of their fourth year and everything that came to follow.