Chapter Sixteen: Plain Parchment

Gwen heard laughing all around her, some of the voices familiar, and some unknown. There was a warmth in the air. The aroma was comforting, but she did not recognize it. She tried to look around the room. Her vision was blurry and she was unable to distinguish where she was. The room was small, but cozy. It reminded her of her grandparents house, but it was not their house. She felt a hand sneak around the small of her back. It was soothing, like it belonged there. She took a deep breath in and leaned her head back. As her head rose she began to make out who was above her.

Clank.

Gwen's breath hitched as she shot up from her bed. Her hand was still gripped tightly to the necklace on her chest. The room was dimly lit by the sun rising. She blinked hard before scanning the room for the source of the noise. Her three roommates were still fast asleep. She looked up at the window behind her bed. A handsome eagle owl sat on the ledge of the window. The eagle owl tilted its head to get a better look at Gwen, and she mirrored him. The owl tapped its beak to the glass again, confirming that it had been the source of Gwen's abrupt awakening.

She reached up to the latch on the window and cracked it open. The cold January morning air whipped her face and hand as she reached for the small parchment tied to the owl's leg. Once Gwen had secured the small scroll in her hand she reached in her nightstand to tip the owl. The eagle owl lightly nipped her hand, and appeared to shake its head.

"Thank you." Gwen whispered to the owl. The eagle owl bowed before soaring off towards the owlery.

She latched the window closed bringing the warmth back into her room. Her fingers untied the bright emerald ribbon that kept the parchment bond. Gwens eyes flickered across the page. It appeared to be completely blank, she flipped it over only to reveal that it was still an ordinary roll of parchment. Gwen pulled her wand out from her school robes.

"Revelio." She tapped the parchment. Nothing changed. She began to fold up the paper, until her eyes caught black ink spots floating up to the top of the page. Words began to swirl together.

Did you get the parchment? - Draco

Gwen stared at the note now in her hand. She didn't know how to respond. Were they going to use letters as their main form of communication now? Gwen quickly realized not only would that be very impractical, but Draco did not want to risk people stumbling upon correspondence between the two of them. She grabbed a self-inking quill from her school bag.

Yes. - Gwen

Once her quill hit the page the black ink from Draco's message faded off the parchment. Gwen's still appeared prominently on the page. She shuffled in her bed, waiting for a new message to arrive. Her eyes shifted to the clock on her desk, 5:42am. She rolled her eyes, she didn't have to be up for a whole hour. When she looked back to the parchment her handwriting had been replaced.

Good. I charmed this piece of parchment so we can communicate without needing to pull each other aside and without leaving evidence. The words should stay on the page until something else has been written down.

Gwen read the note twice over before replying:

How do we make it so that no one will read the last message we wrote?

She waited a few seconds for a response.

To close our messages just draw a small circle in the bottom corner.

Okay. Gwen wrote back.

Then a few seconds later a small circle appeared in the bottom left corner.

Gwen placed the parchment, quill, and wand into her bag. It was now almost 6:30 and there was no reason for her to try and fall back asleep. She began to get ready for the rest of her day. Once she had finished getting ready it was still only 7:15. She decided to go sit in the common room to wait for her friends to wake up and join her for the day. When she walked out into the common room Cedric was on the couch reading a spell book.