Chapter Eight: Champions

Gwen couldn't wait until she met with Draco again. She hadn't gotten a chance to see him since Wednesday in the trophy room.

Even though they hadn't gotten to be alone together, Gwen began to think of creative ways to get close to him in public. When they would pass each other in the hallways she would try to brush his hand. She sometimes would even feel him squeeze it back before walking away.

Draco tried to ignore Gwen in public. He figured it was okay if Gwen was nice to him, she was nice to everyone, but he couldn't show he had a soft spot for her. The most he felt comfortable doing was looking in her direction occasionally. He was petrified that his father might find out that he was friendly with a Hufflepuff, Muggle-lover. He knew they were already in a risky spot with one other person knowing, but he hadn't gotten any closer to finding out who it was.

If Gwen thought the anticipation she had felt leading up to their old meetings was painful, she had no idea what was in store. Draco fully ignoring her during the week just made her want him more. While everyone else in school was counting the hours until the two competing schools arrived, she started counting down the hours until she and Draco could meet again.

Only 54 hours.

It was October 30th, the day that Beauxbaton and Durmstrang were arriving at Hogwarts for the Triwizard Tournament. All the students in Hogwarts were anxiously awaiting dinner, so potential champions could put their names in the running. The other schools would be arriving six hours from then.

"Who do you think will try to be Champion from each house?" Ernie asked the table.

"Oh, easy. Angelina Johnson from Gryffindor, Cedric, Cassius from Slytherin, and Freya from Ravenclaw." Susan Bones announced.

"Freya's not doing it. She's not even old enough. She won't be 20 until December." said Gwen.

"That's muggle law silly." Susan laughed.

"Yeah, wizards come of age at 19." Hannah added.

"That's not what she told our parents. She told me she wasn't trying to be champion." Anger had started to pump through her body. "Why would she do something like that?" Gwen whipped her head towards the Ravenclaw table.

"She's been telling everyone in our year for weeks." Cedric inserted.

"Freya never told me." Gwen's blood felt like it was boiling under her skin. She shot up from her chair.

"Where are you going? Gwen! What are you doing?!" Cedric shouted after her.

When Cedric yelled to Gwen a few heads from the table nearby turned to look at the commotion. One of those belonged to Malfoy. Draco had stood up from his chair at the sight of Gwen enraged.

"What's wrong, Draco?" Pansy looked puzzled.

"I-er, wanna see the fight go down." He tried to cover himself.

"Good Idea." said Crabbe and Goyle. Draco was lucky most of his friends would blindly follow anything he said. All four of them were now standing up watching Gwen.

Gwen was fuming. She never thought her sister could do something so deceitful. She purposefully lied to her family about the tournament.

"Freya!" Gwen stormed the Ravenclaw table. She now had an audience. People from every house were starting to stare.

"Gwen? What's wrong?" Freya looked around at the crowd forming.

"What's wrong. What's Wrong?" Gwen said exasperated.

"Maybe we should go talk about this somewhere...private." Freya started to stand.

"Why would you lie to Mom and Dad? Why would you lie to me? Do you realize how selfish and-and stupid you're being?"