Chapter Twenty: April Fools

As Gwen walked back to her room she continued to feel the sharp pain pounding in her wrist. She tried not to worry about it, because now all she was worried about was recopying her torn essay onto new parchment. Luckily Gwen was right handed, but the last thing she wanted to do was rewrite her whole essay over again. When Gwen returned to the common room she sat down at one of the tables, rolled out a new piece of parchment, and wrote frantically. She wrote as fast as her quill and hands would allow. Until she felt a shooting pain searing pain on her left side.

"Ouch," Gwen turned her head and saw Cedric standing sleepily above her. "That really hurt."

"Is your arm okay? It looks swollen." Cedric examined her left arm, holding it at the elbow.

"I'm fine. I just have to finish this essay, again."

"It looks like a sprain, or maybe even a hairline fracture."

"Cedric, it doesn't even hurt." She tried to pull her arm back to her side, but twinged at the pain.

"Gwen, I barely touched your wrist and you yelped." Cedric looked down at her like a mother disciplining their child. "I think you should go see Madam Pomfrey."

"It will heal fine."

Cedric began to slowly move her wrist and hand, and before he had even twisted it a centimeter Gwen scrunched her face tightly in pain. "Go and see Madam Pomfrey. As a prefect and your older brother on duty, I'm ordering you to do so."

"Wow, pulling rank." Gwen pouted, annoyed.

"Yes," He pulled Gwen to her feet. "Now please go."

"Only because you are forcing me to, but when it turns out to be nothing-"

"Just go." Cedric pushed her shoulders towards the door of the common room. Gwen trudged out of the common room. It was almost one in the morning when she had reached the hospital wing. She quietly opened the door. When she stepped inside only two cots had their curtains drawn closed, and the others were empty. She tiptoed towards the back of the room, in order to not wake whoever was sleeping behind the curtains. Through the door in the back Madam Pomfrey entered.

"Gwendolyn, how are you dear? Is your mother still working as a healer?" She whispered approaching Gwen.

"I'm good. And, yes, my mom is still working as a healer." Gwen smiled.

"I'm glad to hear that. She always had a gift for things like that. Now what brings you in dear?"

"I tripped and sprained my wrist, I think."

"Alright. Well, sit down here," She patted on the empty cot across from the two with closed curtains. "And I'll be right back to look at it and bandage you up."

Gwen sat down on the bed and watched Madam Pomfrey walk back into her office. Gwen didn't often visit the hospital wing, unless it was to visit Freya after a particularly rough quidditch match. She sat silently looking at the noticeable difference in size between her left and right wrist, when she heard someone stirring behind the curtain.

"Look who it is, Freddie." Said the voice in a loud, low whisper. She saw hands peer out from behind the drapes. Then in synch they were pulled violently open. Fred and George were lying in the cots, both with bandages wrapped all the way up their arms, making the amount of muscle they had much more obvious.

"Gweny, what are you doing up here?" Fred grinned, sitting up revealing his shirtless torso. Gwen could see how the faint lines of his abs, even as he sat down.

"Sprained my wrist." Gwen pulled both her arms up in front of her face to show off the swelling, and to prevent herself from staring at Fred.

"How did you manage to do a silly thing like that?" George said propping himself up on his elbows, but remaining under the covers.