Chapter Eighteen: A Balancing Act

We need to talk. Now.

Gwen looked at the boldness of the words. There was aggression behind his penmanship. She put the paper back into her pocket.

"Hey, I'm gonna go change clothes. I'll be right back." She shouted to Hannah over the volume of the beginnings of a party.

"Okay, and will you put my scarf back?" Hannah said, removing it from her neck.

"Of course." Gwen grabbed the scarf, and walked down the hall into their bedroom. She placed the scarf neatly on Hannah's bed before taking out the note again. She pulled out her quill and responded.

Right now? Can't it wait until later into the party?

Gwen took off her outerwear, but left on the outfit she had been wearing underneath.

No.

The period had been written so forcefully that it looked more like an ink splatter.

I'm not sure I'll be able to sneak away right now.

Gwen was anxiously awaiting his response. She didn't know what she was going to say to Draco. Surely he didn't think Gwen kissed Fred intentionally. However, it did make their conversation they had had earlier in the day more incriminating. The more she thought it over it did seem like even a little more than Fred flirted with most people. Fred did know about her and Draco, though, so maybe he was doing it to push Draco's buttons. Draco has said and done some nasty things to the other Weasleys and Harry in the past, it's possible Fred was using it as a form of payback. But that didn't explain the way Fred acted when he and Gwen were alone, or just not near Draco.

Fine. We won't meet.

Gwen scribbled back before the message had even finished.

Stop. We need to talk.

You don't seem to want to.

I just need an hour, so I can sneak away unnoticed.

There was a pause between her message and the response. Gwen felt her stomach sinking.

One hour. Meet by the witch statue with the hump.

Gwen took a breath of slight relief.

Okay.

A circle appeared on the bottom of the parchment. Gwen folded the paper back up and slipped it in her pocket. She took a second to calm herself down before heading back into the common room. As she entered the common room it appeared much more like a party than it had when Gwen left. There were now drinks and snacks set out everywhere. Muggle music was pumping out of charmed speakers. Students from other houses had now made their way into the party. Freya had entered the room with Hazel on her arm, each of them sporting Hufflepuff colors. On the other side of the room James was spiking the drinks with the help of Susan. Next to the window Luna was greeting Hannah, Ernie, and Justin. She was wearing an outfit that was split directly down the middle: half Hufflepuff and half Gryffindor. Gwen had started to walk across the room to join her friends.

"Aren't you gonna congratulate me?" Cedric grabbed Gwen's shoulder as she walked past.

"Did you not hear me cheering for you the whole way back to the common room?" Gwen teased.

"Sure, but I just thought my little sister would say something a little more personal." Cedric shrugged. He started to turn away, putting on fake hurt. Gwen let out a small laugh and pulled him into a tight embrace.

"I'm proud of you Diggory." Gwen smiled.

"Thanks Gwen." He rubbed his hand comfortingly on her back. It made some of Gwen's nervousness melt away.