Chapter Thirty: The Lion's Den

As the first week of classes came to a close, Gwen found herself neck-deep in homework. She had miraculously managed to complete most of her assignments and had moved onto her essay for Potions.

Moonstones are known for their rich shine and milky color. These stones are frequently referred to as wishing stones and consequently are often used in potions that make the drinker feel happy, in love, or at peace. It is a commonly known ingredient in the Draught of Peace.

Gwen had hit the end of the parchment Hannah had given her. She dug through her bag looking for any spare piece to write on until she could transfer it onto proper paper. She looked around the common room for any extra parchment but to no avail.

"Hey, Ernie," Gwen sat in the seat across from him at a table along the side of the room.

"What's up?" Ernie asked.

"Do you have some parchment I could use?"

"Sure. How much do you need?"

"At least enough for Snape's essay, actually, enough for the essay and to write back to my family so I don't have to keep asking people for parchment."

Ernie took out a roll of parchment. "There should be about 20 inches left in this roll, so I hope it's enough."

"Ernie, you're the best! I seriously don't know what I would do without you."

"You would run out of parchment," Ernie teased.

"You know what I mean," Gwen rolled her eyes, and Ernie smiled brightly. "Hey, um, there's a party tonight in the Gryffindor common room, and I'm not sure what your Prefect duties allow, but do you want to go?"

"Being a Prefect doesn't mean I'm not allowed to have fun."

"Well, I just wanted to make sure before I invite you and accidentally get you in trouble."

"Trust me, Gwen, I don't think any of the Prefects take themselves that seriously," Ernie stopped himself, "Actually, Hermione probably does, but if you don't think that Pansy and Draco are probably off breaking every rule," he scoffed.

"Yeah," Gwen gave a half-laugh. She knew Draco was out using his powers all to his advantage and it made her skin itch. "Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to try and finish this essay."

"Good luck!" Ernie shouted after her as she entered her dorm room.

Gwen sat at her desk and cut the parchment so she had 13 inches to use for Snape's essay and used the remainder to write her parents.

Dear Mom and Dad,

How are you both? I know you probably want to ask me the same, and I'm doing pretty good besides the amount of work. I'm pretty sure I have an essay due in every single class. I should have listened when you told me fifth year would be loads of work. I've run out of parchment because of it. I guess I didn't remember to buy some in Diagon Alley, or maybe Grandma tucked it in my trunk somewhere, but I can't find any, so as my kind wonderful loving parents would you please send me some? Thanks in advance.

Besides the work, I can already tell this school year will be better than the last. Atlas is fitting into Gryffindor House better than I've seen in anyone else. I can't believe I thought she would ever be in Hufflepuff with me. Hannah and Ernie are doing a great job as Prefects. I think Frog Choir practices are starting up again in the next two weeks after Flitwick holds auditions, so I'll be even busier than I am now, but I'm excited.

Sending with Love,

Gwen

P.S. Please send the latest editions of Seventeen and Smash Hits