Chapter Thirty-One: One Little Word

The next morning as Gwen rose from her bed she stared at the sealed envelope on her nightstand addressed to F.W.

She picked up the envelope and flipped it over in her hands. The longer she looked at it the more uneasy she felt. Gwen didn't know if sending the letter the right thing to do anymore. The energy and excitement of the night before had made her so sure, but as she put a spritz of her perfume on the front she questioned if it was what she was meant to do.

She shifted her gaze to the bedroom window and saw her owl, Tillie, perched on the windowsill with a small parcel attached to her leg.

"Well, that was sooner than I expected you back," Gwen said as she opened the window and let her owl in. She removed the parcel from Tillie's leg.

It was heavy, which Gwen assumed was due to the large stack of parchment concealed inside and was paired with a letter on the front.

Tillie started to head back to the window.

"Wait," Gwen looked at the envelope one last time. It was now or never. She handed Tillie the letter. "Go fly this to Fred please." She took the letter and flew off towards Gryffindor Tower.

She felt her stomach flip. She couldn't take it back now. Gwen decided to open the letter from her parents and try to distract herself from her thoughts.

Gwen,

We are both glad to hear from you, even if it is because you need something from us. We're sorry to hear that school is stressful, but we know you can handle it, you always do. I was a little surprised to hear that Atlas was in Gryffindor, but at the same time maybe we should have known when she tried to take on Duncan single-handed as a four-year-old because he wouldn't give her an extra cookie.

Your father and I are both as busy as ever with work, but hearing from you always makes our day. Duncan has been writing too, one of his school friends went to visit him and he seemed very excited to have some company besides his mentor. Freya is still with The Prophet so she has moved into the heart of London to be closer to work. Also when you get the chance you should write to my parents they miss you a lot.

In the pouch is more parchment. We couldn't get the magazines you wanted before we sent this letter back, but we assumed that you would need this as soon as possible.

With love,

Mum

Gwen opened the package and put the new rolls of parchment away. She thought about all the work she still had to do for the classes she would have to complete before the next day. She also thought about how if she went into the Great Hall she would have to face Fred.

She checked the clock on her nightstand, 10:34. She had missed breakfast so she decided she would just take the time and the quiet of her room to catch up on her work.

Sunday continued to drag on for what felt like hours. Gwen's mind kept flipping back and forth between thoughts of Fred and the essays sprawled out in front of her. She thought having the work would be a sufficient enough distraction to prevent her mind from wandering, but quickly proved false.

Every few minutes she found herself panicked at the thought of Fred's reaction to the letter. She thought about him reading it and thinking about how stupid everything she wrote was, or him reading it and being flattered but uninterested, or even laughing at the prospect of wanting a relationship with her.

Eventually, she would shake the thought and continue to work on her school work until the cycle repeated.

"Hey," Hannah said as she walked back into the dorm room with Susan and Lily. "We haven't seen you all day."