Chapter Five: Beetle Buttons

The next morning as Gwen rose from her bed she decided to write her parents back. She pulled out her quill and some parchment. The letter read:

Hi Family,

I'm glad to hear that you're all doing well. The start of term has been really good. I do miss having Duncan around, but I've seen Freya a few times. That's really great to hear that Duncan got a job working with Hippogriffs. I'm still ahead of the class in Transfigurations and Muggle Studies. Speaking of muggle goods will you send me some magazines. I want to know what movies to watch when I get back home. The Frog Choir is preforming on October 30th when the other schools arrive for the tournament. I'm really excited for the rest of term. I don't know if Freya told you this, but because of the Yule Ball we may not be home for Christmas. I hope work is going well for you and dad.

Sending All My Love,

Gwendolyn Alexandria Thatcher xoxo

She rolled up the parchment and got dressed. She had woken up much earlier than normal. Gwen was not looking forward to her plans at 7pm. In fact she was very nervous. Draco didn't really have the reputation of being nice to anyone who wasn't Pureblood, let alone those who liked muggles.

"What are you doing up so early?" Susan said rubbing the sleep from her eyes.

"Sending a letter home." Gwen replied quickly. Gwen hadn't really seen Susan or Lily in the mornings because they were usually long gone before she woke up.

Gwen made her way through the tunnel and out of the common room towards the owlery. It was around seven in the morning and the corridors were mainly empty, excluding the occasional ghost. Gwen while she loved her owl, loathed the smell of the owlery. She tried very hard to come up here only when necessary. She pet her owl, Tillie, before fastening the letter securely to her leg. When she turned around she discovered she wasn't alone.

Gwen gasped.

"Surprise!" Fred smiled.

"Sorry, you scared me."

"Really, had no idea." His face was so kind even though his tone was sarcastic. She knew it was Fred, not only because of the way he talked, but because the two looked slightly different. Fred had a straight nose and straight mouth while George's was more hooked and crooked.

"Where is your other half, Fred?" Gwen peaked around the corner to see if George had been standing out of view.

"Common room, Gwen." Fred said as he approached his family owl.

"Oh" A few seconds of silence passed as Fred fiddled with his letter "I'll see you around."

"I hope so." He winked.

Gwen quickly tilted her head towards the ground to hide her blush. She ran down the steps and towards the Hufflepuff common room to meet up with her friends before breakfast. She sat down in front of the fire waiting for someone to walk out.

"Woah, you're up?" Ernie said as he walked out into the common room to wait for Justin and Hannah.

"It is shocking." Gwen laughed. "What's even more shocking is that I have already been somewhere."

Ernie hit the edge of the couch. "You're lying. What have you done with the Gwen I know."

"She must have disappeared." Gwen shrugged.

A few minutes later they had meet up with their other friends and made their way to breakfast in the Great Hall.

"I heard they are picking champions on Halloween." Justin said through a mouthful of oatmeal.