Chapter 6: Posel

Chapter 6:Posel

My name was Posel. I had beak and wings. I could fly high in the sky. They called me bird. Pigeon. But my owner called me Posel. He said it means messenger in Czech language. He named me as a messenger because I always help him sending written messages to the person that always make his pale cheeks went red everytime he read the replied messages from that person.

I always wondered why my master didn't go by himself to meet that person. It would be easier since he could at least talk to that person that he frequently wrote messages too. Maybe he couldn't meet that person because he was in the iron cage in the dark cold room under the ground. I wondered why my master was locked in the cage. I didn't even have a cage but he did.

It was weird. People usually didn't put people in a cage unless if they did something bad but my master was a good person. He would never hurt a fly. He even shared his already little meal with me even though he was actually not my real master. He didn't have to feel obligated to feed me. He was not my master. I have none but I always trailing him around since the day he saved me when I broke my wings.

He bandaged me and took care of me even though frequently I always see him in pain. He would crumpled on te floor, sweating heavily as he tried to even out his breathing, almost like he tried to tell himself the pain would not last long but the reality was the pain last longer and he would be lying on the floor for quite some time. Sometimes the pain suddenly came when he ate something that couldn’t settle well in his stomach. He would double over the floor suddenly, face contorted with pain and beads of sweats running down his forehead. When he was like this, I would stay beside him, trying my best not to bother him but in the same time trying to cheer him up so that he would forget his pain. He would smile at me even though I knew his pain didn’t disappear, not even subside a slightest bit. I didn't like to see him in pain. He became paler and sometimes he throw up or fainted for a long time. When he was sick, he couldn't eat anything. He said he had no appetite and I just looked at him confusedly when he gave me his food. His body was so small and looked weak. He always took medicines. A lot of it and he would be fine.

He always smile and talked to me when he was bored. He never once talked about how horrible his life was. Even for me, I thought his life was horrible. He always sick and in pain. Fever was a frequent condition for him since the room was so cold and he only had a bed and thin blanket to cover himself at night.

It was a usual thing for him to be sick and it always made me worry. He was a good person, an angel in my eyes. Why did he deserve to be treated like that. I didn't like it when he pretended everything was fine when it was not. But what I didn't really like was when 'the monsters' come. They always made my master to be in more pain than he already was. They never cared if my master was already in a weak condition or having a fever. When 'the monsters' come, my master always hide me away so that 'the monsters' couldn't harm me but after 'the monsters' finally finished beating my master, they always left him to tend for himself.

I wriggled myself out from the hiding and flew towards my master that lie limply on the bloody floor. His face was colored with blood and bruises. I know he was in pain but when I finally reached him, he smiled softly and patted my head with his shaky fingers.

"It's okay, I'm fine." he said.

 But I knew he was not fine. He was badly hurt, both his body and his heart. 'The monsters' not only beat him up but they also called him bad names. I didn't know why my master always stayed silent as 'the monsters' did bad things to him.

After 'the monsters' gone, my master would push himself up with his thin frail hands and cleaned himself up. After that, he would go towards his bed and pulled out pen and paper from under his bed. He was writing again. To that person.