Chapter 30: Reconciliations

Jackson's hand doesn't move from mine the entire car ride to the restaurant and I'm so grateful, I'm terrified to speak and the silence in the car is excruciating as I hear every bump in the road, staring out the window at all the cars driving past us. James' driving is so slow I feel like we could have walked faster.

"And here we are." James finally beams as he pulls into the car park for the Indian Cuisine Restaurant in front of us.

I unbuckle my seatbelt and slide out of the car, the silence still looming over us other than James' upbeat humming. Jackson looks like he's about to kill someone and his mother wears the same face. How am I going to survive this night?

James holds open the door for Anna, and Jackson takes it from him to hold it open for me. I throw him a sly smirk as I walk though, who would have thought he could be a gentleman? That is until his hand smacks at my ass lightly and I jump, scolding him immediately after. I'm grateful that his mom and step-dad haven't heard as James announces our arrival to the waitress.

"Right this way Mr Hayes." The waitress says, ushering us through a netted curtain, up some stairs and into what I can only describe as heaven.

I'm so glad I dressed up because my shorts and sweater would not have done. It's absolutely beautiful and I feel like I stick out like a sore thumb, everyone's heads turn as we walk through and I can't help but stare at my feet as I'm walking. Following Jackson's feet to our table next to the window that is staring out onto the city, the sun setting and firing up the sky with it's burnt tone.

"What a view," I let escape my lips as Jackson pulls out my chair, and I hear James chuckle slightly.

"This is my usual table when I come here for business meetings. It helps set the mind at ease." He smiles as he leans forward on the table, Anna staring at Jackson as if to warn him from commenting.

"It's definitely beautiful," I smile, unsure what else to say.

I feel Jackson lean forward and stare towards his mom, and I feel like smacking him and asking him to stop making this whole thing even more awkward than it needs to be. Surely he can put this aside for one night while I try and make a good impression? But then again, it is Jackson.

"So, Lydia, isn't it?" James asks, as if reading my mind. Or maybe he's just been in the midst of their relationship so long he's immune to their drama.

"Yes, sir." I smile and he laughs.

"You have no idea how long Anna has waited for Jackson to bring a girl home," He nods towards Anna and she smiles slightly, turning her attention to me. I look to Jackson who is rolling his eyes.

"Yes, Jackson needs someone to bring him back to reality. Keep him grounded, I suppose." She says and I nod, looking towards Jackson who is staring towards the exit. No doubt plotting how to get out of here. "He can be a bit of a tear away."

"Oh trust me I know," I mumble as I sit backwards, earning a laugh from Anna and I internally high five myself. "He's not all bad I suppose, I mean, half the time I want to rip my hair out but the other half, he's okay." I joke and watch as Jackson turns his head to me, a half smile plastered as he tries to hold in his laughter.

"Oh, is that right?" Jackson smirks and I nod whilst stifling my own laugh.

"You know it's right, you do it on purpose." I grin and he scoffs in amusement. I look up to see James smiling along too.

Our drinks arrive and we order our food, small talk taking over the table and Jackson to my surprise actually joins in, only just. It's like as soon as we're getting somewhere both his and his mom's stubbornness gets in the way. It's like they'll catch themselves smiling at something mutually and wipe it off as quick as it came. I feel like shaking them, but I won't, because I'm actually terrified of his mom already.