Chapter 23: Halloween's Heartbreak

As soon as I walk out the door I can hear the music pumping through my ears, the smell of stale beer, weed and aftershave through my nostrils. It always makes me wonder why on Earth people can feel turned on when at a party when all of these smells are lingering around and clinging to you like a disease.

I make my way across the landing as I see Lola and Gabe so I walk over, my feet making the decisions before my brain is kicking in. I feel myself focusing on Gabe as I walk ahead, wondering why he and Jackson had a fight, as well as how they've made up- if they've made up.

"Hey guys," I smile and Lola laughs at me.

"Hey, I thought you were with Jackson?" Lola asks and I shrug.

"He just took off, I don't know where-"

"He's down there," Gabe nods down the stairs and shrugs, I nod.

"Where's Hallie?" I ask and Lola shrugs.

"Dancing I think." I nod and grip the bannister as I balance getting down the stairs.

I can barely see a thing but I feel someone jump on my back, turning around to see Eric laughing and dancing, Hallie on the other side of him which makes me laugh loudly. I feel grateful seeing them having so much fun and I can feel my chest grow warm as my grin grows as I think about how appreciative I am of them.

I follow them as they both jump up and down to the beat, Hallie passing me her drink which I drink and we dance more.

"I swear girl, I would pay to see a repeat of you throwing that drink over Hannah!" Eric laughs loudly over the music and I burst out laughing.

"I feel like such a bitch!" I shout back, biting my lip, and Hallie shakes her head, placing a hand on my shoulder.

Don't get me wrong, I can stand up for myself, but I'm not exactly someone who's had to stand up for myself so much than I have since coming to College.

"No, she so deserved it! Eric was holding me down because I was about the beat a bitch." She shakes her head and I smirk at her, Eric nodding in agreement. I know that Hallie is well capable of that, and she wouldn't even think twice about her cheer squad place for it either.

"I mean, does she ever get the hint?" Eric says, nodding over my shoulder and I turn to see Jackson and Hannah screaming at each other in the middle of a sea of people, a perfect view for me as if it's planned.

"Should I go over?" I ask and Hallie nods dramatically. I hate how much I double guess myself. But I always have Hallie to tell me honestly.

"Come on, we're right behind you. You deserve to know what it's about!" Hallie shouts, pushing me slightly.

I feel dread writhe through my body and I'm slowly walking over, the alcohol making it seem like the walk is actually getting longer and everyone around me blurring into one. The closer I get I hear them shouting at each other but I can barely make out what's being said, all I can see is Cameron in the middle of them and he's pushing Jackson back but Jackson is screaming at both of them.

"And you, you're just always here, I'm surprised you haven't fucking opened your mouth!" Jackson shouts at Cameron and Cameron's face drops as he sees me, he rubs his face with his hand and sighs heavily, Hannah with a smirk on her face.

"What's going on?" I ask, trying to be intimidating but my voice comes out small.

"Fuck," Jackson shouts, running a hand through his hair. I look up to him to see his eyes are bloodshot and he looks furious, his brown eyes looking black and his jaw clenched so hard it looks like his heads going to pop off. "Nothing, I thought I told you to wait in my room?" He snaps at me and I cross my arms over my chest.