Chapter 27: Saviour

J A C K S O N

And here I thought seeing her with Cameron was bad, in fact, that was just child's play until I'm stood watching Donaldson try to snake his way into Lydia's good books. I can see him smirking at her like she's fresh meat and I swear to fucking God watching him leer at her is going to make me snap.

I've stayed away from her, and although each night at my mom's was hell, I don't feel like I'm going to kill Cameron on sight anymore, which is progress if you ask me. I mean, she's made up her mind and I'm not one to beg and stick around, so I'd rather push any and all feelings to the back of my head and drown myself in practice and drink, and maybe the occasional fuck.

"Hey, dude, you coming?" Tyler asks as he, Ben and Cameron walk towards the bus and I nod in response, I've got to do something about this little shit first.

"Yeah, give me 5 minutes." I mutter and they nod, glancing to each other and walking off.

Donaldson and I go way back, from our first friendly in Freshman Year when I knocked him so hard I concussed him. Ever since, every match we have we try to hurt each other. It's became a competition to see who can knock the other out first, almost like a given when we play against HNU. Everyone knows it. And now he's spotted Lydia, as if I want those lecherous hands any where near her.

I storm over and watch as he is shaking her hand, not letting go, and I barely even look at Lydia while I smack straight into his shoulder.

"Woah, dude, watch where you're going-" Louie starts and I can feel my body tense, waiting for one step out of line so I can end him right here. "Well, if it isn't Jackson Yates." He shrugs amusingly, trying to tease me and get a rise. It takes everything in me not to punch him in the face and the only reason I do so is because I let myself look at Lydia who looks like I've just knocked the wind out of her. I shake out the fact that she looks absolutely stunning with her dark hair framing her perfect face and chest. Fuck, why does she have to look like that?

"Heard I was playing and decided to skip this time, huh Donaldson?" I say with hatred laced in my voice, taunting him.

"Sprained ankle, bro. You know that you would have never won if I was on the pitch." Louie retorts, laughing lightly and although he's smirking I know all too well he's challenging me. 

"Lydia! Hurry your ass up!" I hear that dreadful squeaky voice that I know to be Hallie and look towards Lydia who is already thinking of an escape route. Go, baby. I hear myself say and clench my jaw at my subconscious breaking through.

"Woah, I never got your number." Louie says and my fists clench, one more word and I'll fucking kill you.

"I-" Lydia stutters and glances up to me, her jade orbs burning into my own, instead I look away and ignore my heavy chest and stare down Louie.

"Lydia Rose Dunnark! Hurry the hell up!" Hallie squeals again and Lydia awkwardly points, turning on her heel and half jogging towards them. It takes me a millisecond to see that Lydia is not looking to grab Donaldson's sweatshirt and pulling him closer to me, so he can hear how dead fucking serious I am.

"I swear to fucking God, you go anywhere near that girl and I'll do more than our usual bump on the playing field." I spit and he pushes me backwards, laughing loudly at my threat which makes me step forward to him.

"Ah, a soft spot for Lydia, do you?" He smirks, glancing over to the car. "Lydia Dunnark, was it? I'm sure I'll find her on Facebook." He sneers and I push at his chest.