Chapter 12: We're Just Friends

The drive back is uncomfortable and I'm still slightly damp from Jackson's stupid idea of getting us both in the sea. Jackson turns up the radio to cover the awkward silence and I find myself leaning towards the door of the car and watching out the window. I technically have no right to feel so angry at Jackson, I kind of feel it's like a betrayal him going off and just dropping me for whoever, but what right do I have for that? I have no idea what today is or whether I'm just being a stupid kid with a crush. Shit, I can't have a crush on Jackson. 

Soon the car comes to a stop and Jackson pulls the handbrake, putting it in neutral and he grips the wheel of the car, as if he has something to say... or as if he's hoping I get out of the car so he doesn't have to kick me out. I roll my eyes and reach for the door handle, opening the door and turning to get out.

"Lydia, why are you so pissed?" He laughs to himself and turns to me, licking his lips and he genuinely looks confused. I pause and turn towards him, shrugging.

"I'm fine," I say, "You dropped me off... I was just getting out?" I explain as if it's the easiest thing in the world. He shakes his head and laughs. "Thanks for today... I guess." I mumble as I get out of the car and shut the door behind me. 

"I really don't do girly drama, kiddo." Jackson shouts after me and I feel my jaw clench, I turn towards him and see he's standing on the driver's side, leaning over the car bonnet and watching me with amusement in his eyes. 

"Are you kidding me?" I say through clenched teeth, I step towards him and take in a deep breath. "I give up." I say, partly to myself and I roll my eyes. 

"Lyds?" I hear Noah's voice from behind me and I turn towards him and Hallie, both of which are looking between me and Jackson. "Where have you been?" 

"Nowhere." I say, staring at Jackson the full time and I watch him smirk to himself and pat the top of his car. 

"Sorry about the black eye, bro." Jackson says with a smirk plastered over his face, "I, er, tripped." He shrugs and I clench my jaw at the arrogance of him. I turn towards Jackson and Hallie and Hallie stands there with her jaw swinging off the ground and Noah looks like he could kill someone.

"You've been with Jackson?" Hallie almost squeals, "I never pegged you for liking a bad boy, Lyds." 

"Woah, what?" Noah asks, "Lydia, he is so not good for you." He starts and I roll my eyes and smirk to Hallie, pushing past them and walking to my dorm, the patter of their feet behind me tells me that they're following. "Lydia, are you listening to me?" 

"Noah, she's a big girl. She can handle herself." Hallie says, "I can't wait to hear all about this. How come you never told me?" 

"Guys, there's literally nothing going on between us, honestly, I'd rather poke my eyes out." I say, halfheartedly. "Plus, it's Jackson, he's so not good for anyone." I say and the moment I say it I feel like I'm betraying him. 

I get up to the room and Hallie and Noah follow me in and tumble inside, Lola must have gone somewhere as she's not here and they both bundle on her bed. I sit on the bed and feel exhausted from the last 24 hours, desperately wanting to get changed. They agree to sit on the bed and wait for me and we would go out for some lunch so I decide to have a quick shower and get all the sand out of my hair. I quickly change into my grey joggers and white strappy crop top, coming into the bedroom and finding Noah and Hallie giggling like two school kids and it makes me want to vomit. There's definitely something going on and I'm not sure how I feel about it. As if they're caught red handed their laughter fades and I narrow my eyes at them in an attempt to tell them I know something is happening here.