Chapter 18: Love Is Messy

The drive back home is quick and it's exciting. Hallie and I are singing our hearts out to her current playlist and I can't describe how excited I am to see my mom and dad... And Noah if I'm being honest. It's so strange having been away from them for so long.

Hallie drops me off first and then heads home to see her folks before seeing Noah. It's only midday so we have the rest of the day to see who we need to see; Hallie obviously being more in demand than me.

I open the door to smell the familiar smell of home and instantly feel emotional for some reason; my mom is in the kitchen pacing back and forth and wiping down the counters. When the door opens she turns and places both of her hands over her mouth and tears start to well in her eyes causing me to swallow the lump in my throat.

"My sweet baby," She whispers through her tears as if I've been gone for years and I drop my bag to the floor and give her a big hug. I've missed her so much. "I want all of the details about college- how are your studies going? Are you making use of the library- oh and how are your professors? Wait have you made any more friends- I know about Eric and Lola but I'm just-"He

"Mom! Calm down." I interrupt as all of her questions whiz around my head.

"I thought I heard an emotional wreck in here," My dad says as he rolls his eyes, walking towards me and engulfing me in a hug. "Honey, let her relax before you interrogate her." He sighs, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder and she smiles towards him and nods.

"I'm just excited with not being the only girl in the house tonight! Honestly Lydia, it's been mayhem with those two running around as if they're both 15." My mom mutters under her breath as she goes to the fridge and grabs me a drink of orange juice.

"So nothings changed then?" I tease and my dad grins at me.

"Nothing what so ever, your mother has just been missing her side kick." My dad jokes, "Did you know that Noah and Hallie are an item?" My dad leans forward wide eyed and my mother spins around.

"Oh yes!" My mom says high pitched enough for me to cringe at the sound, "Your father caught them FaceTiming!"

"Oh God, ew, ew, I don't want to know about that!" I shout putting my fingers in my ears and my dad rolls his eyes and tuts at me.

"For Christ's Sake, Lydia, get your head out of the gutter." He mutters, "Not like that."

"Like what?" My innocent mom asks and I burst out laughing, waiting for it to click for her.

"Oh no, Gosh, Lydia!" She says swatting me with the tea towel. "What about you? Any boys?" She asks and my dad's face drops.

"That's my cue, I'm off to watch the TV." He says, swiftly turning out of the room. I laugh and shake my head.

"Too focused on my studies." I lie, kind of, I am focused on my studies too.

"Noah told me that there was one guy but he refused to tell me any details. Is he hot?" She asks, grinning at me and I furrow my brows.

"Noah is a little snitch and there's nothing going on with me and Jackson." I say as he enters the kitchen drinking his water bottle, he goes to open his mouth and I shoot him a glare. "What have you told mom about me at College?!" I shout and he puts his hands up in surrender.

"Calm down, all I said is you were friendly with one guy. It got them off my back about Hallie." He rolls his eyes, "Nice to see you too, by the way."

"Well it's nothing so there's no need to talk about it." I say sternly, looking at my orange juice intently.

"Okay, no need to bite my head off." He mutters, "Are we off out for lunch since Lyds is home now?" He asks mom and she nods.