Twenty

I collapse next to Pheonix's bloody figure, crying hysterically. He strokes the side of my face gently.

"Shhh, it's okay, babycakes. You're alright." He croons. A sob slips from my lips. "You know it doesn't work unless you look at me." He retorts. I laugh, but tears still stream down my face. Mackay lies next to him, grinning tiredly.

"Jeez, Nixie, you'd think we're dead by the way she's crying." He jokes.

"Yeah, come on, stop wasting water on us."

"Shut up, both of you. Do you realize how badly you're hurt?" Brennen snaps harshly.

"Uhh, I went numb a little while ago...how bout you, Birdie?" Mackay turns to look at Pheonix, who just shrugs.

"I'm blocking out the pain. Jesus Christ, that dagger hurts!" Pheonix clutches the stab wound in his stomach.

"I never dreamed that you would ever say Jesus Christ." I laugh-cry. Pheonix smiles.

"I thought it'd be polite."

"You should be saving your breath. You need medical attention, and talking isn't helping." Brennen says. Pheonix shakes his head.

"Screw the doctors. Look at Mackay, will you? He's missing a leg and bleeding profusely." Pheonix laughs. "Isn't profusely a fun word? It sounds so weird! Say it: pro-fuse-ly."

I shake my head. "Obviously in your final moments you're losing your mind." I respond, my voice cracking. I get myself worked up all over again. Pheonix smiles at me sadly, the pain evident in his eyes.

"Come on, babycakes. Say it. Say the word. It'll make you feel better." He grasps my hand. I cry even harder, but nod.

"Profusely. Pro-fuse-ly. Profusely. P-R-O-F-U-S-E-L-Y, profusely." I go on, leaning my head down on his chest.

"You're so warm, babycakes. Aww, stop those tears! You're getting my shirt wet!" He doesn't mention that the blood from the wound in his chest already soaked the shirt through. "I'm getting pretty tired. Look at me." I shake my head. I can't bear it. He can't die.

"Come on, Sweetpea, look at him!" Mackay urges. I turn my head up to look at Pheonix. He heaves himself into a sitting position and gazes at me fondly.

"So you've finally figured out your past, sweetheart. What are you going to do now?" He cracks a grin. I wrap my arms around him in a tight hug.

"I'm never letting you go. Not until you die."

"But I'm already dead, remember? 'Stupid, undead Vampire'." Pheonix mocks. I hug him even closer to me.

"You're not dead. 'Your heart is beating funny'." I inform, smiling up at him. He presses his forehead to mine.

"You want to know why?" He winces suddenly. I try to lay him back down, but Pheonix shakes his head. "Do you?"

"Yes, okay, just lay down!" I try to make him go down.

"No! Not...yet. My heart beats funny around you because I love you. I love you like a human brother would never dare love his human sister." He smiles. "Never forget that, okay?"

My eyes fill up with tears and I  nod.

"I'm not going to forget, because you're going to remind me every dady from now on." I inform. Pheonix sighs.

"No, Dominic, I'm sorry. I've got to go to sleep now. You're not going to keep me from becoming friends with the god and godess I worship, are you? You said it yourself that they sound like awesome friends. You shouldn't even have anything to do with a nineteen year old Vampire. You're only sixteen, Dominic." He reminds, wincing again.