Sixty Four

Logy
(adj.) Lacking physical or mental energy.

It was hard to forget that vampires had little use for sleeping and therefore could continue celebrating well until the night gave way to the day. While werewolves and witches had impressive stamina and endurance, both of our species much preferred getting some sleep.

So, unfortunately, as it neared closer to morning, I had to inform the King that we would have to depart.

"Your Highness, we thank you for welcoming us into your home and hosting this wonderful celebration in our honour," He gave me a large grin, a little more relaxed and comfortable around us. The queen was as silent and as stiff as ever, unfortunately.

"Of course My Dear, you are more than welcome here. I'd be delighted to have you again," He beamed, clasping my hand in between his.

"Unfortunately, my friends and I must retire for the night, we share our need for sleep with the humans," I joked. He chuckled but nodded, letting me go and stepping back.

"I'll leave you then. I hope you have a safe journey home," I gave a slight curtsy and stood up. Soon enough, the king was distracted by someone else so I quickly left, searching for Kieran.

Thankfully, this time I didn't find him kissing another girl.

"We can go," I explained. I didn't wait for his response but quickly rounded up everyone else. Luckily, they were just as eager as me to leave so we all filed into the limousine in silence.

"Artemis?" Seraphine broke the silence. I hummed, turning towards her. She looked at me for a moment, her lips pursed as if she was refraining from asking something. I didn't miss her glance at Kieran besides me and I hoped the tension between us wasn't that noticeable.

"One of the witches down south might have found a clue about the evil witch working with the hunters," I perked up at the change in topic, suddenly not as tired as I was moments ago.

"Yes, we think that she has more witches under her control, which is why they were able to attack so many packs all at once," Medea added, looking cosy in her partner's arms.

"It also seems they've run out of wolves to launch these attacks so it's been eerily silent," I nodded, quickly getting lost in thought.

"Do you think they'd be able to control vampires?" I asked.

"It'd be safe to assume so, yes," Medea continued.

"And witches? Do you think they could kidnap more witches and control more?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

"Yes, there's really no telling what their powers are so it's safe to assume the worst," Seraphine frowned.

The silence once again returned and the remainder of the journey I was deep in thought. Before I knew it, we arrived at our hotel and we all got out. We all bid each other goodnight as we went into our respective suites.

Once again, the awkward air between Kieran and I returned, now that the others weren't with us to distract us.

Kieran didn't acknowledge me but disappeared into the bathroom while I collapsed at the dressing table. Pulling off all my jewellery and wiping off my makeup was suddenly strenuous and by the time I got to attempting to undo my dress, I was already tired.

I was regretting this trip more and more by the second.

While meeting the vampire king and networking to form more allies was an opportunity I couldn't have ever missed, I hated it for the rift it caused in our relationship.