Seventy Four

Dies Irae
(p.) Day of Wrath

Artemis POV

I realised way too late why it was so easy to escape. The dungeons only had one or two guards patrolling and they had been too easy to take out. At first I thought it was a trap, a way for McConor to torture me by giving me false hope and crushing it, but it wasn't.

I fought all of three guards on my way out of the dungeons and I was free. However, I soon realised two things.

1. I had been kept in the dungeons of the old Silverclaw Guardians.

2. All of the hunters had left to attack the Phantom Pack.

McConor has promised to attack my pack and had taken all his men to do just that.

That jolted me into immediate action. I burst into my wolf form and began running as fast as I could. My feet barely touched the ground as I pushed myself to an impossible speed, my heart pounding loudly in my ears.

I let the anger and pain I had pent up drive me faster and faster. The wind blew hard, as if trying to push me forward and help me, while the stormy clouds above rumbled worriedly.

"You won't know until that precious mate bond of yours breaks and I'll come back to your cell with you dead from the pain."

This overneming feeling of dread threatened to break my step, but I used my fear to push me faster.

Without breaking my pace, I tried to mindlink Kieran again, hoping that the stupid witch's curse would have faded, but it didn't.

That familiar throbbing pain hit me, that thick wall in my mind still present, even as I had long left the old territory.

I growled lowly to myself, hoping I would get to the pack lands faster than McConor could.

I had no idea how fast him and his men would be travelling or if they even went to the packs themselves. It would take me a few hours to run all the way back to the north, even if I ran at this speed with no breaks.

All I could do was just run and pray.

And that's what I did.

I ran and ran and ran, never breaking my stride. My anger and anxiety prohibited me from resting and the adrenaline never ceased.

My whole life was on the line.

As selfish as it was, if Kieran died, I would follow. Duties be damned.

Soon enough, the climate had changed from the warm and wet air of the south, to the cool and crisp air of the north. The crunching of leaves and branches under my paws turned into the soft padding of snow.

I was getting closer and closer, my senses on high alert for any enemies and trespassers. The forests were deadly silent and I took small comfort in that. The mate bond hummed warmly in my chest as I got closer to the Phantom territory and I smiled to myself, relived that I would be back with Kieran soon.

That warmth quickly faded as I suddenly heard yelling and fighting.

The quiet of the forest was broken by the sounds of a brutal battle, animals and beasts snarling and growling.

Entering my pack lands, I quickly spotted some possessed wolves and vampires running ahead of me, further into the lands. I growled loudly and jumped onto the back of one wolf.