Sixty Three

Nebulochaotic
(adj.) A state of being hazy or confused.

Kieran POV

It took me a while to finally realise what had happened. But by then, Artemis had already seen through my thoughts and had sat on the bench besides me, looking exhausted.

I wanted to tell her that I hadn't meant to fall into that bitch's trap, that I only saw her beautiful face and felt her warm body against mine, but I felt that my words wouldn't be enough.

"It's okay Kieran, I'm not upset at you," I felt her warm hand grasp mine and I took that as a cue to move closer to her and pull her into my arms.

It would be just my luck if I managed to mess everything we had worked so hard to get. It seemed the universe was not done punishing me.

"I'm so sorry Baby," I murmured, pressing kisses into her hair.

I could tell she was still a little tense, and while she said she wasn't angry at me directly, I couldn't even begin to imagine the horrible scene she just walked into.

No doubt, if I put myself in her shoes, I would not have reacted as gracefully as she had. I was suddenly hit with how lucky I was, having such a patient and understanding mate, one that would stay long enough to see my side of the story, and not take off immediately.

My heart constricted in my chest at the thought of her running away.

This time, I knew for a fact that if she ever left me I wouldn't live. I would die.

"We should head back inside, before our presence is missed," she murmured, pulling away. I wanted to protest and hold her for a while longer, to do my best and erase those horrible thoughts that kept playing on her mind, but I could tell she wanted a little peace for a while.

"Okay," I agreed quietly, getting up. We walked besides each other in silence, for the first time in a long time, a gap between us. I didn't dare touch her yet, letting her have some space.

It felt horrible, knowing that I was part of the problem troubling her.

I wanted to murder that vampire myself, not for laying her hands on me, but for having Artemis witness such a horrible scene. I couldn't care less about how that vampire bitch had violated me, but I hated how upset Artemis was.

I would bring her the severed head of that vampire if it meant my mate would be happy.

"Kieran," I stopped as my sweet mate called my name. "Don't do anything rash. I'll take care of it," she gave me a small smile, as if trying to comfort me.

It should be the other way around.

"I won't Baby, but please," I cupped her face itch my hands. "Know that I'm here, with you and I'd rather die a million deaths than ever be seperated from you," she closed her eyes, leaning into my touch and I pressed a kiss to her forehead and cheeks before finally placing my lips on hers.

I don't know how I ever believed that vampire was Artemis. My Artemis had this sweet taste, uniquely her, that no one could impersonate.

"There you guys are!" We broke apart as Viktor approached us. "Some of the King's Counsel want to speak with you," he looked at Artemis, and she glanced at me.

"Go, I won't be far," I watched her walk away towards the King where a group of older vampires were huddled. I didn't dare wander off on my own this time, aware of just how cunning vampires could be.

I stood by the refreshments table, so I wasn't surprised when a vampire approached me, reaching for a glass near me. He downed three glasses of champagne unceremoniously before sparing me a glance.