Sixty Two

Ophiomormous
(adj.) Snakelike.

It had been more than twenty minutes and still I hadn't received a response from Kieran. I had managed to wrap up my conversation with the Viktor and his siblings, confident enough to think we'd have a new ally but before I could escape and begin hunting for my mate, I was approached by an unknown vampire.

He had bright red eyes and dark brown hair. Like all vampires, he was quite handsome but he had an air of superiority about him, making him even more intimidating than everyone else.

"Artemis is it?" He asked, his eyes never leaving my face. It was quite unsettling but I didn't want to look weak so I met his eyes.

"Yes and who might you be?" My tone was polite but I let my suspicion leak in.

"Nikolai Valesky, Third Prince," he held my hand and pressed a kiss to the back of it, his lips lingering longer than polite. I gave him a slight smile and pulled my hand back.

"I'm sorry to cut this short but I must find my mate," he quirked a brow, giving me a smirk like he knew something I didn't. 

"Your mate? He's with my sister, doing quite alright," he jerked his head slightly and I followed his direction, finally spotting Kieran at the far end of the hall, talking to a familiar dark haired woman.

I was confused. I thought he had left to get some air.

An arm snaking around my waist had me snapping out of my thoughts.

"Let's dance shall we?" I pursed my lips, letting my protest die in my throat in favour of diplomacy. He wrapped his arm around me tightly, pulling me much too close so our bodies were pressed against each other, his nose almost touching mine when he looked down at me. I leaned my head backwards to create some space.

"I've never been with a wolf before," The double meaning behind his words was not lost on me so I gave him an unimpressed look.

"I doubt tonight will be your first," I quipped back. He raised his brow at me, pursing his lips for a second before giving me a larger and cockier smirk. His grin and creepy eyes reminded me so much of a snake.

"So fiesty. Is it all bark and no bite?" He taunted.

"Trust me I bite. Hard," He leaned down, his lips brushing my ear as he whispered.

"What will it take to get you to ditch your mate?" I was disgusted by his words, stopping in the middle of the dance and pulling free immediately.

"Nothing. I would never do that," I hissed. Diplomacy be damned, no one could question my loyalty to my mate.

"Not even for one night?" I didn't answer verbally, just growled lowly at him. I felt my eyes glow gold and he thankfully got the hint and shut up. Unfortunately though, his smug look returned once more.

"Your loyalty is admirable but do you think your mate will return the sentiment?" I didn't like the look he was giving me but no matter what, I trusted Kieran.

"Without a doubt," I stated confidently. "Now if you'll excuse me," I stepped off the dance floor and grabbed the first champagne glass that went past me and chugged it down. Setting the glass back down on another passing tray, I ambled my way through the crowd, trying to locate Kieran.

He still wasn't answering his mind link and I was growing worried. Although I caught a glimpse of him perfectly fine, there had to be a reason why I couldn't access his mind.

Surely he wouldn't block me right?

People stopping me on the way were beginning to frustrate me. I tried to remain polite and excuse myself as gracefully as I could when in all honesty, I felt something was off. I had to squish down my worried thoughts because panicking wouldn't do me well.