Ten

Euneirophrenia
(n.) The peace of mind that comes from having pleasant dreams

It was hard to tell how much time had passed. There was no light in my cell except for the dim glow from the lights on the other side of the corridor. But I had quickly learnt the guards rounds and when I would get my meals, and judging by that, at least two weeks had passed.

I wasn't allowed solid food at all. The most I would get is a some bread with my stew, which was often stale. While it did weaken me since werewolves needed a protein rich diet, I was far from dying just yet, so it would be a slow death from malnourishment for me though I was sure I had lost a lot of weight.

I also had a maximum of three toilet breaks a day.
The guards were mute, not speaking a word to me, at all. They didn't even speak to each other out loud which made it all the more lonelier.

Thankfully, I was used to silence and solitude so it didn't bother me.
It was the tiny cramped space and the limited mobility that was getting to me.

All my life, I didn't have much. I wasn't surrounded by pack members and I didn't have a home. But I did have freedom. I could roam as far as I wanted, whenever I wanted. I lived in the forest and Mother Nature raised me.

So being imprisoned in a tiny cage was making me feel restless. I was fighting the urge to shift on the spot and destroy anything in my way.

The only thing keeping me sane were my dreams. Or hallucinations. It was hard to tell what exactly they were with how realistic they seemed.

Sometimes I'd see my friends and I all running through the forest, exploring my caves as we settled and claimed it as our territory. We were a pack. A small, mismatched pack, but a pack nonetheless. I'd even approach other rogues and convince them to join us and they would accept.

But most of my dreams would revolve around a couple, both of them golden skinned with dark featured. They were mostly alone in my dreams, sometimes just holding each other lovingly.

They were mates, that was obvious and it hurt that I couldn't have something like that with my mate.

In today's dream, the woman had a swollen belly. She was sitting by a creek, her feet dipped in the cool water. As always, the sun was shining down on her, making the blonde strands in her brown hair stand out.

Her diamond shaped face looked so familiar.

I saw the man walk up towards her, press a kiss to her forehead and sit besides her, admiring the scenery. They were avid nature lovers, much like me.

"There's more hunters than before," the man murmured. The woman sighed, leaning into her mate.

"I heard," she whispered. She rubbed her belly absentmindedly. "She's coming soon. I can feel it," she smiled. The man placed his hands on her pregnant belly and smiled. He felt the child kick.

"She has your spirit, I can tell," the woman continued.

"And she will have your warmth, I just know this," the man smiled back. His large almond shaped eyes and his sharp brows looked so familiar.

"I love you Mica Julio Garcia," the woman whispered, leaning forward to peck him on the mouth.

"I love you too Sophia Helena Flores," he whispered back in Spanish. He pulled her back in for a kiss and I felt myself slowly slip from my dream. Awareness slowly crept back on me and I blinked away the remnants of my dream, processing everything I saw.

It was the first time there was any proper dialect, much less learning their names and that these hunters were a threat.

I was also surprised by how familiar their features looked. I don't ever recall meeting them. My confusion only exhausted me further and I tried to fall asleep again. My arms were cold and lacked blood flow form being held up for so long and my legs were numb. The restraints were the only thing holding up my weight.

It didn't take long for me to start falling asleep again when I heard something. I tried not to focus on it, pushing it away to give in to the sleep, but I heard it again, louder.

A voice.

No, voices.

One was a scolding female and the other was a growling male. A familiar growling male. I could recognise that voice anywhere.

I blinked my eyes open and raised my head, looking towards the cell bars where they both stood. I didn't quite catch what they were arguing about and they seemed to stop as they realised I was awake.

The woman, was elderly, her white hair prominent even in the dark. She had a frown twisting her thin lips but her blue eyes shone with emotion.

I heard a click and watched as she pushed the door open. She called for the guards and they stepped in, wearing gloves as they stood besides me, they each grabbed an arm and I furrowed my brow, looking at them questioningly.

"What's going on?" My voice came out in a harsh whisper from how scratchy my throat was.

The guards each unlocked a cuff and I was glad they held me up. My limbs were all numb and I couldn't stand. I hissed as my wounds on my bruised wrists were reopened. My skin had healed around the spikes in the cuffs so when they were taken off, they pulled with them chunks of flesh.

With the pain finally gone, my body slumped further. The lack of nutrients and my inability to shift added to my exhaustion and I could see black dots in the corner of my eyes.

"Where am I going?" I whispered fighting off the darkness.

I felt him step closer. His scent surrounded me, pulling me further into my sleep as my body relaxed. He put his arms around me and murmured something, but I was too far gone to know what it was exactly.

The sparks running up and down my body and the comfortable feeling of being nestled in his arms washed away the painful ache in my chest that had been bugging me more than the cuffs.

I vaguely wondered if this was what Mica and Sophia felt when they were with each other before passing out completely.