Chapter 29

Royal caught wind of the investigation when they walked into the bar Amanda used to work at. They had made it a habit to come in when they found time for a break in packing and shipping everything.

Royal had to be the one to explain to Amanda's boss her situation. He was surprisingly understanding and wished her good luck.

The owner told Royal that the employees had been questioned when they found out Amanda was involved with Cate's 'disappearance'. Having decided to leave so short notice, they knew nothing other than when they had begun to see each other.

"You certainly slept like a log," Royal lightly shoved Amanda's shoulder as they passed her to sit on the couch in the living room. Cate was nowhere to be seen currently.

"How long did I sleep?" They turn around towards the kitchen. Amanda walks towards them with a glass of water in her hand.

"Almost 19 hours. Did you not sleep at all this past month?" Royal crosses their arms and waves their remark off.

"I didn't have time. Had way too much packing to do," Royal takes a sip of water, "well that and the cops," Amanda sits down next to Royal and leans her head on their shoulder.

"Thank you for doing all that," Amanda closes her eyes and rests her body against Royal's. They let her, embracing the calm and peaceful energy that has now surrounded them.

***

Cate looks down from the second floor, unsure of how to understand the scene before her. Royal and Amanda are sitting in the couch, closer than Cate feels friends usually are.

She knew in her gut that she was overthinking the scenario, but cate couldn't help but feel almost... jealous? She wanted Amanda to be hers, and only hers.

That would never happen unless Amanda willingly gave herself to Cate. She knew Amanda was her own wild, adventurous person. So, who was she to try and claim the untamable?

'Certainly, l'm overthinking this' Cate kept repeating through her mind, to the point where she could feel it bounce around in her skull. She just needed to trust Amanda that she wouldn't do anything to jeopardize their wonderful relationship.

That is, if she even wanted to in the first place. Wait, of course she wants it, why else would she runaway to Ireland of all places. Cate couldn't understand the sudden jealousy surging through her. She's never felt anything like it before.

"You wanna come down?" Cate is brought from her thoughts to Royal smiling up at her. Amanda looks up and smiles wide. Patting the seat next to her, she motions for Cate to hop too it.

She walks down and sits next to her. Amanda kisses her cheek and rubs the back of her hand with her thumb. Amanda sighs, standing up abruptly.

"I need to do a few things, so you two," she motions towards Cate and Royal, "get to know each other,"

Amanda turns on her heels and walks away. Cate, bewildered, looked over towards Royal. Their hair a crazy orange mess from sleeping on it. They move a bit closer to me, but not too much to make cate uncomfortable.

"We really haven't had a full conversation, have we?" They adjust themselves so they are sitting cross legged on the couch facing me. Cate moves just enough to face them as well.

"We haven't," Cate looked them briefly up and down. "How old are you?"

"I'm 29. I know I don't look it," they strike a silly pose. Cate chuckles, thankful Royal isn't trying to make it awkward.

"Honestly I'm an open book, so don't be afraid to ask me anything" Cate looks over Royal, their calm composure throwing her only slightly off.

"How did you two meet?"

"At the bar, and then I slept over that night" Cate takes a second to buffer and let this new information sink in.

"What- what do you mean by slept over?" She found herself asking before she realized. Royal's natural smile dulled just a bit as they thought about what to say. Royal was the type of person to be blunt, it's just easier than beating around the bush.

"It actually was supposed to be a one-night stand," Royal scratched their chin. "But after we got to talking and we actually have a fair amount in common. Amanda and I have been good friends ever since,"

"When was this?"

"Two weeks before we moved here..." Royal didn't want to disrupt Cate and Amanda's relationship over their one-night stand.

Cate stayed silent, the gears surely moving within her head.  "Nothing's going on between you two..." Cate muttered under her breath, more as a realization than anything.

"Cate?" She looks over towards Royal, "I'm aromantic," Cate only looks at them with a puzzled look.

"I don't feel romantic attraction. Well, that's the general term. Personally, I have never. Every Aro person is different," Cate silently thinks about all the new information that's been offered in their talk so far.

"Amanda loves you. I know I haven't known her long but there's no doubt about it" Cate makes eye contact with Royal. Their eyes show honesty.

"Well," Cate smiles, "I certainly feel just a tad old," Royal chuckles and takes Cate's pinkie in theirs.

"Well, you're not. Plus, it doesn't really matter in the end anyway. Your relationship is honestly goals," the use of slightly newer slang brings a bigger smile to Cate's face.

"I'm glad Amanda has you. I don't think she had any friends or proper relationships before she met us..."

Royal and Cate end up talking all afternoon, long after Amanda got back from her errands.

Royal has truly been a blessing, that's for sure.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Authors Note:

Thank you so much for reading! I'm sorry it took over 2 months for me to update. I was able to get another job so that has been taking up my time. That and school before it let out.

Also, I'm curious where you think this story is going. I usual do 32-chapter stories, but idk with this one how far to take it. Do you guys have any theories? I'm interested in hearing what y'all have thought up yourselves!

Don't forget to leave a vote and comment if you enjoyed!

Love You!!!
-B