Chapter 17

Amanda

I knew something wasn't right as soon as I woke up. Whenever Cate would stay overnight, she never left without saying goodbye. Her spot next to me was still slightly warm, and I knew I just missed her departure too.

I sit up and turn off my alarm. Rubbing my face, I try to rub the sleep from my eyes. I get up and start getting ready for work. As suspicious as I am about Cate leaving early, I try and not think about it. She very well could have a plausible reason.

I'm thankful that there isn't a strict dress code. Since I am a bartender I guess it would be way more lenient, I've worked at the bar since I turned 18, I started as a waitress then was promoted to bartender around the time I turned 20. We just agreed to get me a fake ID till I turned 21.

I walk into the kitchen to grab something small to eat before work when something on the table catches my eye. I see a roll of bills on the table, what looks like hundreds. I pick it up the roll and undo it. It quickly unrolls and almost falls out of my hand.

Just by looking at it undone, it has to be close to or over ten grand. I have never seen or even held this much money in my life. I drop it on the table and take out my phone, immediately texting Cate questions. That's when I knew something was definitely up.

I couldn't give it any more of my attention quite yet. I couldn't be late to work today. I quickly put the money where I've kept all the money I've gotten from Cate. Gathering the rest of my stuff I head out and straight to work.

***

We never really had text conversations or spoke over the phone. I couldn't help but break that pattern by trying to see if he would answer, or even read my texts. She hasn't even opened any of them.

I work through my shift thoughtlessly. Apparently thoughtless enough to catch another coworker's attention.

"Hey Amanda," I look up from bussing the table, "you good?" I take a deep breath and stand up straight. I place the tray of dirty dishes on the table so I don't drop them if something happens.

"Uh for the most part," the staff at the bar isn't very big, so we have all gotten decently close. "Something just came up today with a really close friend,"

"Does this really close friend happen to be a romantic interest?" I can't help but smile. A couple tears accompany the small laugh that escapes my lips.

"I don't know what happened," words start to spew from my lips before I can control myself. He quickly sweeps me to the back to an appropriate spot to talk.

"Come here," he brings me into a hug. I hug him tightly, it's gotten to the point in my life where is someone I trust wants to comfort me, I might as well embrace it.

"Why don't you go home. I can talk to the boss about some time off for you, Okay?" We make eye contact and I nod. I wipe the tears off my cheeks and sniff. Standing up, I get ready to go home.

As soon as the door closes behind me, I make a beeline for my room. Stripping off everything, I am about to disappear under my blankets, but something stops me.

Images of the two of us in my bed are all I can see. The way we tossed around and fell asleep together. I couldn't bring myself to get in my bed, so I parked myself by the window in my room. Using extra blankets from the closet and the pillow Cate slept on when she stayed over.

I didn't move for the rest of the day and through the night. The sun set and the stars came out. One of the perks of living in a small town is being able to see the stars clearly.

The pillow smells strongly of Cate. I hug it closely to my chest, trying to imitate the feeling of her next to me. Why else would Cate leave so much money if she wasn't saying goodbye? She's not answering my texts either.

Something must have happened for Cate to do this. Something must have. Why else would she do this?

Why else?
_________________________________________________________________________________

Authors Note:

I need to be better at updating in time😂 I promise I won't just leave you hanging, I'll see this to the end💖

Thank you so much for reading! Please vote and comment if you enjoyed, it would mean so much if you did <3

Love You!!!
-B