Chapter 2

Amanda

I was the Bart Simpson of my highschool years ago. Lighting shit on fire in the middle of 4th period underneath the bleachers and using the flames to light whatever we decided to smoke that day.  Whether it was weed or cigarettes depended on the day. Either way, everyone who chose to hang with me knew that they could come and go as they please especially when it came to my questionable antics; the only rule being snitches get stitches.

That being said, I've hurt quite a few of my classmates for snitching.

I check the time again on my phone. We had set up to meet at around 8pm. I am aware that my shift goes for another 3 hours, and I think I mentioned I worked here... I guess I'll find out when the time comes.

"Would you like another, John?" I ask a regular while holding up his empty beer bottle. He looks over at me and answers with a smile before shaking his head.

"Not tonight. Promised my daughter I'd go fishing with her early tomorrow morning. Thank you though." He places down a few bills before kindly smiling again and heading out the door. I pocket the tip he left and finish up his transaction. Out of everyone who regularly comes to this bar, he is definitely the nicest.

I refill some other beverages down the bar as I go, ignoring the urge to check the time. She'll get here when she gets here. Unless she doesn't show up at all. Why am I getting all worried about this?

I look up from what I'm doing, removing myself from my thoughts, and down the bar stands Cate. She smiles shyly and waves. I set down the vodka I'm holding and wipe my hands on a hand towel before poking my head in the door to the back and asking one of my coworkers to cover me.

I smile back at her and walk out from behind the bar and I motion for her to follow me to the booth in the corner that thankfully is unoccupied.

"Do you want something from the bar or something to eat?" I motion towards the bar as we sit down across from each other. She sets her small purse down and wraps her torso in a different knit cardigan than she wore yesterday.

"Um.. some fries would be nice," She brings her fingers to her mouth, "and a coke"

"Coming right up!" I give her a goofy smile and she quietly laughs as I walk back up to the bar.

"Hey Ned," he looks up from putting a bottle back.

"What's up?"

"Can I get a couple Cokes and a large basket of fries? Just put it on my paycheck" He looks back at Cate then back at me.

"Got a date? I won't tell the boss," He jokingly winks at me before heading to the back to get the Cokes and put the order of fries in. Within a couple minutes I'm walking back to the table with two glass bottled Cokes. I place one gently in front of Cate and one in front of me as I sit down.

The awkwardness that was bound to happen starts to set it. I can see Cate probably feels it worse than me as she takes a small sip from her drink. I quickly try to come up with a conversation topic, and thankfully the fries come a few seconds later.

"Have fun, Amanda," Ned winks again and walks away. I smile and laugh lightly at him again. Cate takes a couple fries and giggles silently as she starts eating. After getting some ranch and food in both of us, the conversation loses the awkwardness it held before.