Eavesdropper

It's honestly amazing how bad this woman's timing is, Stephen mused as he considered Jamie's name on his screen. He regretted saying who it was out loud, because Inho was looking all keen and curious like a dog that's heard the word 'walk'.

"It's like four am, why is she calling? For work? That's weird right?" Inho was attempting to be casual but failing miserably. Stephen gave him points for trying.

"Ugh," he said, then slid his thumb across the screen to answer, "Yes, Jamie, what is it?"

"Hello Stephen, are you with Inho?" Jamie's voice was as professional and respectful as when he was grilling her about reports at work. She didn't sound like someone calling their ex's new lover at four-thirty in the morning.

"Well, Jamie, I can't imagine why you might consider it appropriate to contact me in the middle of the night, much less why you would feel like that is any of your business, but please enlighten me. I'm honestly baffled."

Jamie faltered under the onslaught of his disapproval, but she didn't give up, "I-I know that he's been in an accident, and has been admitted to the hospital," she paused as if that was explanation enough. Stephen let the silence stretch. He wanted to tell her to fuck off and stay away from Inho, but he didn't want to stress Inho out right now. Jamie was still a touchy subject between them.

When he didn't reply, she continued nervously, "I'm the emergency contact on his insurance. If you're with him, could you let me talk to him?"

Stephen remained silent. If he didn't answer, maybe she'd realize on her own that she was being a nosy unwelcome asshole. That's how negotiation worked, whoever spoke first, lost. He should have stepped out when he saw her name. Inho would definitely already know she was asking for him. Even in his disoriented state, he was watching, alert, and interested.

"Stephen? Please. Please. " she repeated into the phone. She's relentless.

"Stephen?" Inho said at the same time, he was slowly sitting up, avoiding his bad wrist, and curling around his broken ribs with a twinge of pain.

Stephen rolled his eyes where Inho couldn't see – as if I give a shit about Jamie's begging. But, he couldn't ignore Inho, or the hint of pleading in his voice. He made a soothing motion, gesturing for Inho to stay where he was.

"She says the insurance people called her, and she's just checking you're not dead," he told him, not bothering to cover the mic. He heard her protest come through the speaker as Inho patted the blankets for his phone.

"Oh, my battery must have died." Inho observed, "Can I talk to her?" He waited, making it clear that it was Stephen's decision. If he'd been more demanding, Stephen could have leaned into yesterday's fight a little, and pressured him not to talk to her. He hated how she was keeping her hooks in him.

Inho continued to watch him patiently, and Jamie had been waiting in silence for at least two minutes now. Stephen knew he was coming across petty and jealous, so, admitting defeat, he handed his phone over resentfully.

"Here. I'll go see if I can pick you up a charging cable at the 24-hour shop across the street."

Grabbed his coat, he left, turning to pull the curtains closed behind him. Then, he stood with his back to Inho's bed, hidden just on the other side of the fabric, and listened to Inho's side of the conversation.

"Hello?" Inho said, then there was a pause, "Yes, sorry about that, I forgot I had you on there....It was just a small bike accident, I'm okay....No don't worry about it."

Stephen was relieved that Inho's voice was polite and not too friendly. He frowned furiously at not being able to hear what Jamie was saying. A hospital staffer caught his glare and flinched, hurrying away with a bag of laundry.

"No, don't come here, please..." a longer pause, "I don't think you get to ask me that, you broke up with me remember?"

Stephen spun towards the curtain, furious, before remembering to pretend he wasn't there. He hoped Inho was too absorbed to notice the cloth sway.

"I don't think Stephen would do that. It doesn't sound like him... Maybe you've misunderstood the situation?"

What the hell is that about? Stephen bristled like an angry cat. His desire to march back in and snatch the phone away was overwhelming. He cracked all the knuckles in his hands, a series of quiet pops.

"Listen, I'm sorry you're having a tough time at work...but that really has nothing to do with me. I have to go now; I have a concussion."

Inho sighed heavily enough to be heard through the drapes. Stephen waited for the rustling of sheets to indicate he had settled back down and stormed off to the store to buy a cable.

~~

Cheesy Quesadillas!! Thanks for reading! <3