Cold Calculation

Stephen could tell that Inho was finally loosening up. All it took was a blackberry gin bramble and a maple bourbon sour to get there. They'd already gotten through the boring small talk about where they were from and how they ended up in Vancouver. Nobody was actually from Vancouver. People always just ended up there somehow. Or, they worked downtown with long soul-destroying commutes in and out of the city each day.

Stephen artfully evaded talking about his own background and family, and now that Inho was a little drunk and a touch giggly, it was easier than ever to keep the conversation focused on him.

"So your father lives in Seattle for work?" he asked, over an appetizer of fried oysters wrapped in peashoots and drizzled in aioli. He hadn't ordered raw oysters in case Inho didn't know how to eat them. He wanted him off-balance on this date, not humiliated.

Stephen continued at Inho's nod, "And the rest of your family is back in Seoul? That must be difficult, especially for your mother."

"Yeah, she's used to it I guess. His company moved him there, and he's managing a huge development project, so he can't leave." Inho considered the food, and popped an oyster in his mouth. Then he had to rush to chew and swallow quickly before he could continue his story.

"We went with him at first, but then my mom's father got sick, and we moved back so she could take care of him."

"I'm sorry to hear that," Stephen offered, then changed the topic, "So, are you enjoying your time here?"

"Yes. Canada is so beautiful. Everything smells like pine trees and ocean." He gestured around at the plants with a wobbly hand holding a drink, "and it's so green. I like how green it is. The plants in here are pretty too, I really like them."

A long spear-like snake plant leaf was leaning into his seat, and Inho's left hand had been absently stroking it up and down – a nervous movement.

"You really do," Stephen said, nodding to Inho's hand, with its unintentionally suggestive motions.

Inho tore his hand away with an embarrassed smile, "Sorry, I didn't notice I was doing it."

"So what do you like to do in the city?" Stephen encouraged.

He liked how Inho was smiling now. He was getting a little soft around the edges, laughing freely, and leaning just a little closer. Stephen himself had switched back to water since he had to drive after, but he didn't see any reason to stop Inho from getting drunk on $30 cocktails.

"Well, I mostly have to work a lot, so I haven't had time to see much. I really like my apartment, but It's a little lonely being in a new city, you know?"

"Mmm, yes I do."

Stephen was sure now, that he was interested in Inho. For sex at the very least, not that he'd ever really had any doubts on that front. They had good chemistry, but he still needed to feel Inho out a bit. Plus he wanted to make sure Jamie was out of the picture. She'd said they broke up, but who knows where they stood now? Sex wouldn't happen tonight, but one more date maximum.

"I'll make some time to show you around. When are you usually free?"

Inho looked taken aback, but only briefly. He tilted his head, wondering out loud, "How are you so smooth? You make me feel like a little kid."

Stephen stopped a forkful of seared duck breast on the way to his mouth. This was the first time Inho had shown any vulnerability.

"Does it bother you?" he asked, genuinely curious.

Inho considered the question, shutting his eyes while he thought. Stephen could see the alcohol was really hitting him now. He wasn't a good drinker, but his new honest demeanor was appealing.

"No." He answered finally, looking boldly back at Stephen, "I like it."

Stephen put his fork down and leaned forward. "So when will it be then? Our next date?"

Inho broke eye contact abruptly and chewed his lower lip. The moment was gone, and Stephen guessed it was at the word date.

"I'll text you. I don't know my schedule yet."

Stephen took a gamble and decided to ask directly.

"Did I make you uncomfortable? I'm sorry. Perhaps you and Jamie are still...?" He trailed off, the question unsaid but clear nonetheless.

"No, we're done, it's just...I guess she told you we broke up? Yeah. I just don't know where I'm at with...things."

"I understand," Stephen replied, smooth as silk. He patted Inho's hand where it sat on the table.

"We can start as just friends if you like? And see how things go." Stephen watched Inho's face carefully for a negative reaction. There was none. "You said you were lonely. It's good to take your mind off sad things. That's what friends are for."

He flashed Inho a grin that showed just a touch too much of his eye-teeth.

Inho responded with an easy smile.

"I think that sounds nice," Inho said.

Stephen felt a small squeeze in his chest.

"Excellent," he responded, "How do you feel about dessert?"

~~

Author's Note

Who has the "upper hand" here? Stephen definitely thinks he's running the show, but Inho's so darn tootin' cute! Please vote and comment, sparrows! I appreciate your interactions SO MUCH <3