35. The Roots of the Problem

Let it be known that Gregory Universe was a determined man. He woke up early that morning and prepared breakfast for his sons. This was going to be a long and complicated conversation that he was determined to make a good one. Greg finished setting the table when he heard his sons wake up. Twoie was the first one down. The older man winced at how worn his eldest looked. It was as if he slept for an hour instead of a full eight. His youngest bounded down the steps a minute after, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.

"Morning, Twoie! Morning, Dad!" Steven chimed as he ran over to the table. The kid glanced at all the food with stars in his eyes. "You didn't have to make breakfast. But it looks amazing!" Twoie chuckled and rubbed Steven's head as he walked by him.

The young man patted his dad on the shoulder, and blearily grabbed a mug. "Morning Dad, and Steven. Did you already serve yourself some coffee?" He poured himself a cup and took a big gulp. Greg laughed and held up his own mug.

"Yeah, I did. Thanks for asking." The father waited until both of his sons had sat down and served themselves before taking a deep breath. "Look, kiddoes. I-uh..." Twoie and Steven swapped a look of concern as Greg awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck. "It's just..." Greg steeled his nerves. "I think it's time I told you more about myself." Twoie choked on the pancake he was eating. Steven's eyes widened as he looked at his dad in wonder. "Oh, boy..." Greg nervously smiled at their completely opposing reactions.

"Are you going to tell us more about your life as a Rockstar before you met mom? Are you going to tell us more about mom? Are you going to tell us that you actually grew up as the son of world-famous singers and were tragically separated while on tour, and now you have a clue as to your parentage and you'll be going on an adventure to find them?" Steven rambled in excitement as he stood on his chair and leaned over the table. Twoie softly snorted at his younger brother's last question and their dad's confused expression.

"I'm pretty sure that's the plot of a movie, Schtu-ball." Greg cut another slice from his pancake and ate it. "I've lived in the van for decades. A couple of months after I decided to live life on the road, I met Marty, and he became my manager. I already told you that story, Steven."

Twoie raised a brow in confusion. "Was that after you stopped talking to Uncle Andy?" Steven's head whipped to face him as he mouthed, "Uncle Andy..." Greg, on the other hand, was perplexed.

"Uncle Andy? You mean, my cousin Andy?" Twoie nodded. Greg brushed his hand through his hair. "When did you meet my cousin? I stopped talking to the rest of the family a long time ago." Steven looked back and forth between them, eyes widening further at the thought of more family.

"Yeah, Steven will meet him pretty soon. Sometime after Lapis and Peridot move into the barn, Uncle Andy shows up and tries to make them leave. I had to call you to explain the situation and man, was he not happy about a lot of the decisions you made. But he came around to it after we carried out the old DeMayo tradition of a family dinner at the barn. I still talk to him, and he sometimes visits." Andy was the only family Twoie had besides the gems and his dad. He was very fond of the older man and was happy that they were able to keep in touch over the years. His dad seemed like he got along with him as well, which was why the annoyed glare he was now sporting stunned him.

Greg rolled his eyes as he glowered at his food. "Ugh, the traditions. The DeMayos were all about tradition."

Steven frowned, gaze flicking back and forth between the two of them. "Wait, DeMayo? What's that?" Twoie gestured to their dad.

Greg let out a long sigh. "My original last name was DeMayo, but when I moved out, I got it legally changed once I was old enough to change it."

Steven pouted and sat back down. "DeMayo is such a cool name. Much cooler than Universe." Twoie laughed and patted Steven's back.