21. Better Me Than You

AN: Hi! Sorry for the wait! I got super busy and completely forgot to post this! Also, if anyone knows how to get strikethrough to show up, can you tell me please? I couldn't get it to work.

Anything in italics and underlined is a flashback memory.

Twoie avoided being alone with Steven for the remainder of the weekend. If he wasn't with Steven and Connie, he was working with Peridot on the drill. Steven knew now that his older brother was aware he overheard his conversation. There was no other explanation for the cold shoulder. After Connie had gone home, he'd noticed that Twoie kept staring at his phone. He wanted to peek at what his older brother kept going back to, but he didn't want to make him angrier than he already was.

Steven sighed for what felt like the gazillionth time that day. At least everyone was taking it easy. The gems were watching the sunset, and Steven relaxed against Lion, strumming his ukulele with his eyes closed. "Steven." He opened them to see Peridot staring at him with an annoyed frown. "Why did we stop working on the drill? Why are they just sitting there looking at nothing?"

Steven tried to smile at Twoie, but his brother looked away. Guess he still didn't want to talk about it. He'll corner him later. "We worked hard, and we deserve to take it easy for a little bit." He strummed the ukulele some more, hoping the music would make Twoie more amiable. "Look at the view! It's beautiful!"

Twoie looked up and relaxed a little. "It is, isn't it." He sat down by Steven and brushed his hand through Lion's fur. The big cat purred in contentment.

Peridot groaned loudly. She stamped her foot against the ground while gesturing at the view. "It's going to be blown to oblivion by the Cluster if we don't get back to work!"

Twoie motioned for her to sit down, and she did so begrudgingly. "Working hard is important, but feeling good is important too. Right, Steven?"

The younger nodded. Peridot gripped her hair tightly. "I don't know what you're talking about!" The drill in her hand buzzed.

Steven perked up at the sound. "Hey, bzzzz, is that a C?" The kid plucked the corresponding note on his ukelele.

Twoie closed his eyes and leaned back against Lion. "Yeah. Sounds like it."

Peridot stared at them in confusion. "The drill?"

Steven jumped to his feet. "Yeah! Now it's music!" That only confused her further.

"You should show her, Steven." His brother piped up from behind him.

Steven strummed a couple of notes. "Do Re Mi Fa So La Ti Do."

"Do Mi So Do?" She huffed as Steven continued without clarifying.

"Isn't it pretty?" He closed his eyes while he strummed his ukelele.

Peridot rolled her eyes. "That's exceedingly simple. Do Mi So Ti..."

Twoie chuckled as she analyzed the music. "You're making music."

She watched the younger brother dance around her. "What's the point? We're not making anything."

Smiles graced both of the brothers' faces. "If it's not anything, then why does it sound so good?" The youngest challenged her.

"I suppose it's just interest, Do Mi So Do. Devoid of substance or purpose, a hypothetical pattern! Do Mi So Ti." She paused as Twoie interjected, "For the satisfaction of bringing it to completion." She snapped her fingers. "Exactly! Do Mi So Ti. Interests without meaning, solutions without problems..." She looked up at Steven as he held his hand out to her.