40. Pleasure Doing Bismuth

AN: Oof, last chapter, am I right? XD Everyone gets a little reprieve! Nothing too strenuous and nothing too horrible. Bismuth is biding her time and doing her best to get to learn about what's happened in her absence. :)

Bismuth liked how the inside of the little base looked. As the group gathered in the living room, she could see brightly colored trinkets lining the shelves. It gave their headquarters, she guessed that's what this place was, a really relaxing feeling. But she noticed, from running outside and coming back in, that it was only them and the pink lion. "Where is everybody else, anyway?" She saw the temple, with the warp pad in the center. Maybe this was just the headquarters for the area they were at?

"Everybody else?" She heard Steven question. The blacksmith hummed in affirmation as she turned to face the group. Guess she was right. Maybe this was the base for Steven since he was human, and the others were at a different base. Figures Rose would release her with only a small group present. Probably thought it'd be more believable this way.

"Yeah, the rest of the Crystal Gems! Ol' Crazy Legs. Biggs. Snowflake! Surely, you've met them?" Her smile dropped when she noticed Pearl looking nervously between 'Twoie' and Garnet. "Uh, guys? Is something the matter?" Bismuth could feel her dread getting stronger when Pearl shook her head. The graceful gem motioned for her to follow as she led the way to the warp pad in the temple. "You were talking just a second ago; maybe you could try that again? I don't like you all being quiet like this." She tried to chuckle, but it sounded forced even to herself. The mood became somber the second she asked about the others, so something had to have happened. Bismuth stopped trying to lighten the mood and stepped onto the warp. She never would've expected where they went.

Strawberries. Giant strawberries as far as the eye could see. Bismuth gasped at the sight. "No. No way!" She recognized these battlegrounds. She had fought Homeworld on these grounds with the others. But all that was left were broken weapons and regret. "I knew I was gone for a while, but..." She couldn't see everything due to the overgrowth, but she wondered how far the weapons went. Which ones belonged to her friends and which ones belonged to her foes. And if the strawberries covered their shattered remains.

"We, the Crystal Gems, were able to save the earth..." Pearl became choked up. Bismuth didn't need her to finish her sentence. She knew, the moment she saw the battleground, what their win had cost.

"We're all that's left of the rebellion." That was why the base was so small. Why no one else was around. She looked down at Pearl, who had tears streaming down her face. "Oh, come on, Pearl. You know I can't take it when you cry like that." Bismuth could feel her own tears on her cheeks. Garnet walked up to them, putting her hand in Bismuth's while Bismuth wrapped an arm around Pearl.

"Homeworld's final attack on earth wiped out all of the Crystal Gems." The multi-colored gem took a deep breath to calm her nerves. As she stepped forward amongst the fallen, she heard Garnet remark about Rose protecting them. Regardless of what she thought of Rose, at least she was able to save them.

She gripped the handle of an old ax and pulled it out of the ground. "I knew those Homeworld Elites were twisted. How many of us did they shatter? Crazy Legs? Biggs? Snowflake?" Anger burned through her gem. "If I was there, I COULD'VE STOPPED IT!" She slammed the ax into the ground.

"It's not like that was enough." Bismuth turned around. Garnet had her hands on her hips, looking down at the ground. "Homeworld still has its eyes on this planet."

Pearl held her hands close to her chest. "We still continue to thwart their plans over and over."

The others ran over to join Pearl and Garnet. Steven chimed in from behind Garnet's leg. "And they just keep coming back!" Amethyst nodded along. Twoie placed a hand on top of Steven's head.