34. Home Sweet Home

When Dad came with the van, Twoie insisted on waiting at the barn until Steven returned with Lapis. The gems and his dad drove back home while he spent one last day with Peridot. They had started fixing the hole in the barn but became distracted when the new episode of Camp Pining Hearts came on. They were still watching the show when Lapis and Steven returned. Twoie smiled and waved at them from their place in the loft. "Hey, guys! Welcome back! Wanna join us? We're watching a Camp Pining Hearts Marathon."

Lapis couldn't speak. There, sitting next to Twoie, was Peridot. "You? What are you doing here?" Peridot smiled, unaware of the anger in the other gem's voice, and waved at her.

"Lapis! Nice to see you again! Welcome to the barn. I live here now! Do you want to watch this show with us? It's getting to the really good part!" Steven nervously looked between the two. Lapis turned on her heel and grabbed Steven by the shoulders.

"You said I could stay here, though! This is supposed to be my home." Peridot, now realizing that Lapis was upset, muted the show. Twoie sighed, and the two climbed down, so everyone was on the same floor. Lapis glared at Peridot when they walked up to her. Twoie gestured to Peridot and met her glare.

"Lapis, Peridot was already living here before you decided to stay here as well. You have a lot in common, and I think you'll make great roommates." Before Lapis could interject, Twoie held a hand up. "Remember how Steven said everything changes on earth? Well, Peridot has changed from what you remember her as. She wants to live here on earth. You two actually have a lot in common. Neither of you can go back to Homeworld because you'd be branded as traitors, and both of you want to experience what earth has to offer."

Lapis narrowed her eyes at Twoie. "I don't care how similar we are. I can't stand the thought of living with her every day. She's the one who dragged me back to earth."

Peridot got defensive. "Hey, it wasn't my idea! I was headed to earth, and I needed an informant. It was supposed to be a simple mission. I'm sorry that you got tangled up in that giant mess with Jasper, but everything worked out, didn't it? Now, you get to live on earth with Steven and Twoie. You can explore and make new friends! We can be friends!" Peridot became really excited and started hopping up and down. "I have so much I want to show you! I gotta show you Camp Pining Hearts! Oh, and how to use the lights in this place, and the rain! And we can watch the sunrise and sunset together! This'll be so much fun!"

Lapis crossed her arms. "I don't want to be friends. You used me. Just like everyone else." Twoie put a hand on her shoulder. Lapis shrugged him off, feeling slightly betrayed that Twoie didn't tell her about Peridot when they were talking earlier.

He sighed, "Lapis, she didn't, though. Yes, she's part of the reason you were brought to earth, but she didn't use you. Jasper, the gems, and Homeworld used you without asking. Peridot was commanded to bring you. Even then, the only thing she did was ask about the earth. Jasper hurt you emotionally. She threatened you. Homeworld and the gems abandoned you when you were no longer useful. You can't compare them."

She could feel her resolve lessen. But it didn't change the fact that she was still mad. She wanted to be mad at someone, and Peridot was right here.

Peridot stepped forward with her hand out. "I'm sorry." Lapis looked at her incredulously. "It's different now. I'm different now. I sabotaged my own mission. I helped save the earth! I even yelled at Yellow Diamond! She might even be sending a fleet to shatter me right now! I'm a big anti-Homeworld deal." The green gem realized her voice was getting higher and higher. She cleared her throat with an embarrassed blush. "A-anyway. If you really don't want to live here with me, then that's fine. Twoie and Steven have taught me a lot about the ability to chose. But I'd really enjoy the company. I want you to understand that things are different now. We're the same! We can't return to Homeworld, but you don't have to be alone. Tell me whatever you want me to do to make this place feel like home, and I'll do it."