48. Back In Bismuth

AN: Alright, Update #2!

Bismuth had never felt this lonely in her life. After she left the temple, she had returned to the only home she had left, the forge. The blacksmith had thought returning to her forge would make her feel better, but the silence was deafening. Bismuth had spent the first day stress-building weapons to deal with the guilt of cracking Twoie. Then, she had thrown the Breaking Point into the lava. Even with the relief that had provided, it was hard to be in the forge by herself. She could still hear the echoes of laughter from memories long past. In an attempt to quell her grief, Bismuth had thrown herself into researching humans. She had discovered something called a "library" and had stocked up on books about humans. Stars, was she glad that she did. Bismuth turned the page on the book she was reading. The multi-colored gem sat comfortably by the lavafall, using its light to illuminate the words. She could hear the pattering of the storm outside and was grateful for the warmth of her home. Suddenly, loud knocking interrupted her quiet leisure. "Huh? I didn't expect anyone to be coming by?" Bismuth set her book down and walked over to the giant stone door. It opened at her command, and the sight that greeted her was the last thing she had expected.

Twoie gave her a sheepish smile and waved at her in greeting. "Hey, Bismuth."

She blinked a couple of times. "Oh, my stars! Twoie? What happened to you?" She was horrified by how different he looked compared to a couple of weeks ago. Then she noticed that his hair and clothes were plastered to his body by the rain. "Hold on; we've got to get you inside!" She ushered Twoie into the forge and gestured for him to sit on a stone bench she had made by the lava fall.

The warmth of the forge was both a blessing and a curse. Although Twoie could already feel his hair and clothes drying, the heat burned his icy skin. He did not complain, though, as he sat down. He forgot that the stone absorbed heat and set his hands down. Twoie winced at the pain from touching the hot stone, pulling his hands onto his lap instead. Bismuth flashed him a look of concern as she sat back down at her previous spot. Seeing that he was fine, she focused on a different concern of hers. "Hopefully, you'll dry off fast enough in here that you won't get sick." Twoie's eyes widened in surprise at Bismuth's concern.

"Oh, I don't get sick since I'm part gem, but I'm surprised you know that humans could." The young man shrugged his jacket off and squeezed the water out of it. The droplets evaporated quickly upon touching the floor.

Bismuth chuckled in embarrassment as she held out the book she was reading earlier. "Yeah, after everything that happened, I figured I should verse myself in all of the things that have changed while I was bubbled. And then, I wanted to see how humans work compared to gems. I mean, I know you're part gem, but after I..." She winced at the uncomfortable look on Twoie's face. "After I accidentally did... that... I realized I should know what made you different." She set the book down on her work table. "And stars, are humans different from gems."

Twoie relaxed a little at her exclamation. "So, you don't still think I'm Rose?"

The blacksmith shook her head. "No, I know now that you aren't." She smiled at him. "So, what brings you by the forge? I thought I'd see the others before I saw you, or at least one of them with you." Her happy mood fell when Twoie looked away. "Hey, what's wrong, Twoie?"

The time-traveler worriedly rubbed his arm. "C-can I stay here with you? Just for now?" At Bismuth's surprised look, he hurriedly continued. "I got in a fight with the gems. Not an actual fight, just an argument. They haven't been the nicest to me since I arrived here, and I ended up leaving the house. This was the one place I figured they wouldn't think to look."