56. I Am Steven

AN: Song mentioned is "I Am Moana" from Moana. I saw the "Who You Are" Steven Universe Animatic a long time ago, and I thought it was really fitting. I didn't want to use the same song, though, so I looked through the songs to see if a different one would fit. Man, getting this to work was very difficult! XD I had to do research on some of what the gems said in the "I Am My Monster", and had to find a way to incorporate that into the song.

Monster watched as Mother and Tiny Thing ran into the house, yelling with excitement. It was to his great confusion when they returned moments later with the other pack members. Was there something important going on? He blinked as they conversed amongst themselves.

"Greg, are there any songs that you've shared with Steven that may have sentimental value to Twoie?" He watched curiously as Mother spoke with Long Fur. The male was holding some odd wood thing in his paws.

"There's a couple, so l guess I'll give it my best shot." Pretty sounds came from the wood thing, and Monster sat up straight. The noises sounded really familiar. "Bright sunny day, don't cost nothing. Light summer breeze, don't cost nothing." Monster remembered smiling and laughing as his father strummed a guitar on the beach. "What do I do with all this money when the only thing I want is you." They dashed into the house and met up with Blue Pelt, heading to the city. He discovered how much Blue Pelt missed her. That Pink had accidentally divided his family. How he had to fix it. He always had to fix things. "Palling around, don't cost nothing. Singing a song, don't cost nothing. How do I spend all this money? I'd rather just spend time with you." He watched Tiny Thing, Father, and Blue Pelt walk out of the house, not realizing that he wouldn't see them for a bit later on. Monster's heart ached as he saw Red Blue Pelt and Purple Pelt banging on a pink wall as he ran out of the house.

Monster growled and shook his head. The memory flooded his mind, filling him with a mix of joy and sorrow. He didn't like this. Whatever they were doing, he wanted them to stop. He bared his teeth at his pack. His father flinched as the corrupted half-gem arched his back, hissing furiously. "What's going on? Why did that happen?" Father watched him with concern.

"I don't know. Maybe it brought up a bad memory? What happened the day you sang that?" Mother tried to step forward, but Monster growled at her. She kept her distance as Tiny Thing turned to her.

"That was the day that Pearl, Dad, and I went to Empire City. Twoie insisted on staying home, and during the trip, we found out how much Pearl missed mom, and how she couldn't get over her choosing my dad." Blue Pelt winced as Tiny Thing rambled. "In the end, Pearl and Dad made up. When we came home the next morning, that was when we found out Twoie ran away."

Mother hummed in thought. "That day would definitely have bad memories then. We need a different song. Steven, do you have any songs that made you happy?" She knelt by his pack-sibling, placing her paw on his shoulder.

Tiny Thing shook his head. Mother looked at him sadly, as he explained. "When we sing songs, it's usually about something going on at the time. I think all of the songs I know have something bad that happened later on or were because of something that hurt us." Tiny Thing looked up at Monster. "Twoie, especially, never sang unless he was feeling really emotional. I don't think there is anything that won't bring up at least some bad memories."

The corrupted half-gem didn't like this at all. All they were talking about was pain and suffering. They were making him remember things that hurt. Things that he wished had stayed forgotten. He didn't like knowing how much his pack had hurt him. When Tiny Thing approached, Monster backed up a step. He remembered Tiny Thing smiling sadly at him as he stepped closer. Wind buffeted his brother, and Monster was overwhelmed by the feeling of fear. His brother wouldn't stay away, no matter what Monster told him. He gripped his head tightly. It felt like everything was caving in around him. He no longer saw his brother as a pink glow filled his vision. As the world blurred around him, heat burning through his veins until it coursed through his whole body. Until he could no longer contain it. Monster howled as he collapsed to the ground. He clawed at his head in the hopes that he could tear the memories right out of himself. The pink lashed out, and when his vision finally cleared, Tiny Thing was unconscious amongst several destroyed trees. Because he was a monster.