5. Dear Old Dad

Twoie was thankful that Pearl had taken Steven with her for Connie's sword training. It made it so much easier to research everything he would need for next week's museum trip. He didn't have to worry about Steven walking in at any second while his phone screen was open to the web page for the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History. It also meant Twoie didn't have to hide his stress. Now that Garnet and Pearl were getting along again, Steven was much happier. Twoie was trying his hardest not to jeopardize the kid's good mood.

He was lucky that the museum had free admission, and that the two would be packing a lunch. Twoie was anxiously tugging at his hair as he analyzed the possible costs of gas and dinner for the trip. Even though they were only a couple of hours from the museum, Twoie figured that they wouldn't be getting home until late at night. It'd be nice to take Steven to a place he hasn't tried before anyway. The problem was Twoie could see the dollar signs adding up, as he planned this trip. He didn't want to borrow money from his dad since he wasn't rich yet, so what else could he do to get some money?

"That's it! I could teach Steven how to tend to a garden! We could sell some of the flowers for more money, and I can teach Steven some of the science regarding plants and ecosystems! I've been wondering how to show Steven a more hands-on approach to science anyway." He opened the weather app on his phone to make sure it wouldn't rain while they would be out.

The app showed nice weather for the next couple of days. Twoie tucked his phone into his pocket. Now all he had to do was check-in with Garnet about next Tuesday and ask his dad if he could borrow the van. They could make the garden after he made sure the field trip would occur. Right as he finished his thought, the temple door opened, and Garnet stepped out.

"Garnet! Perfect timing! Can you use your future vision to tell me if Steven and I will be needed next Tuesday?"

She adjusted her glasses. "Hmm. What are you planning to do that day?" Twoie gestured for her to come closer. He pulled his phone out and showed her the web page.

"I want to take Steven on a field trip to the Natural History Museum. It's a couple of hours from here, so I want to make sure we don't have any missions that day." He set the phone down and showed her the notes he was taking. "They have a butterfly pavilion that I know Steven is going to want to see, and lots of exhibits on history and science. I also have to ask Dad if I could borrow the van, so I need to make sure the date would work." Twoie shut the book and put his phone away. "Please don't tell Steven that I'm planning this. I want it to be a fun surprise."

Garnet hummed in acknowledgment. "From what I can see, Tuesday should require no missions and nice weather. Also, I'd get going if I were you. Steven, Connie, and Pearl should be finishing up their training right now. If you want to talk to Greg, you should leave before they arrive."

Twoie shoved his notebook into his bag, jotted down a quick note to Steven that he was heading out, and raced out the door. "Thanks-Garnet-I-owe-you-one-bye!" Twoie released the breath he was holding when he heard the warp go off, right as he reached the bottom of the steps. He kept running through the beach until he was sure Steven couldn't see him.

It was rare that he got time to himself these days. Especially when it came to walking down the boardwalk on his own. It was odd seeing everything in the past and knowing that everything was so different in the future. So different... Twoie shook his head to clear his thoughts. He was not going to go down that road.

The young man picked up the pace, not stopping until he reached the car wash on the edge of town. The van was parked in the driveway, but he couldn't tell if his Dad was inside. "Dad?" He knocked on the back doors to the van. He waited a couple of seconds. No response. "Must be inside the car wash then." As he walked up to the entrance into the building, he could hear music playing softly inside. He opened the door and saw his dad lying on the ground, half-way inside the control box. "Hey, Dad!"

The man crawled out, brushing dust off his pants as he stood up. His eyes lit up when he noticed who his visitor was, arms spreading out in an invitation for a hug. "Twoie! I haven't seen you in a while. How are you?"

Twoie hugged him. Even though the man wasn't technically his father, he was still the same caring man he looked up to. It was nice to have some semblance of normalcy in the past. "I'm doing well, thanks! I've been pretty busy between homeschooling Steven and going on missions, so it's nice to have a little 'me' time to come visit you."

Greg chuckled. "I know I'll never say no to spending time with you. Are you sure you don't mind hanging out with your old man in your free time, though? Well, I guess it's your younger-old man to you! Sounds like you've been pretty busy lately."

Twoie snorted at the joke. "Dad, it's always nice to spend time with you. How's your business been?" The two made their way outside to sit in the van.

Greg popped open the doors and pushed them all the way to the end. "Pretty slow today. I don't think anyone else will be coming by today since it's a couple of hours till closing. I'm hoping to drum up some more business tomorrow. I was working on tuning up some of the wires in the control panel since it's so quiet."

Twoie smirked at Greg. "Don't worry about it too much. Something will happen next summer that will make you rich." Greg choked on his saliva. "Wait, what?" Twoie started laughing. His dad lightly punched him in the arm. "You can't drop something like that on me, kiddo." He slung an arm around his son with a big grin on his face. Twoie chuckled as Greg made it obvious he wanted him to continue. "I can't say too much, but let's say a certain song of yours is pretty famous."

The two continued to chat for a while. Twoie hadn't realized how late it was until the sun had fully set. The back of the van was illuminated only by the soft glow of moonlight. "Shoot! I was supposed to meet up with Steven an hour ago for dinner. Sorry, Dad. I have to head back to the temple now." Twoie grabbed his bag and hopped out of the van. "Oh, before I forget. Could I borrow the van next Tuesday? I want to take Steven to the Smithsonian Museum as a field trip."

Greg nodded. "Of course! Will you be back that night, or should I spend the night in the temple?"

It would be nice to have Dad go straight to the temple, in case they got home really late. Actually, Steven would probably appreciate Greg spending the night in general so he could talk about the trip with him in the morning. "Why don't you spend the night at the temple? We're only going for the day, but I know Steven will want to talk to you about the trip first thing in the morning. It'll be nice to have you over anyway."

"Sounds like a plan, Schtu-ball. Goodnight! Love you, kiddo!" Twoie hugged his Dad. At least this part of his Dad will never change. Warmth spread through him at hearing the fondness in his Dad's voice. He had really missed him. "Love you too, Dad. I'll come by again soon."