23. When Choices Diverge

AN: Hold onto your hats, folks! XD

Steven trusted Twoie. Out of everyone, he trusted Twoie the most. That's why he didn't immediately say anything when he noticed the communicator in Peridot's hand as the two returned from their talk. Once they were back home, Twoie pulled his brother aside. "Did you still want to know about that other room?"

His younger brother shook his head. "Later. Did you see that Peridot took the diamond thing from the base?"

The young man sighed as he leaned in close. "Yeah. I was hoping she wouldn't, but I guess she's still too loyal to the diamonds." They both turned to look at her. "You can get her to tell you why if you don't outright ask her about it. This event is really important, so I'm going to do my best not to interfere."

Steven stared at him, questioningly. "Does everything turn out okay?" At his brother's nod, Steven steeled his expression and made his way over to Peridot.

The green gem's back was to him as she stared at something he couldn't see. "Peridot." She jumped, quickly turning to face him while hiding something behind her back. "I need to talk to you."

She chuckled nervously, "Yeah! Sure!" She followed him into the truck and looked around nervously. "Why are we in this broken down vehicle?" Steven took a deep breath to prepare himself.

"I wanted to ask you..." She didn't notice when he shifted his attention from her to the arm behind her back. "About the Diamonds." She perked up immediately.

"Oh! I don't know what the others have told you, but there's a reason they're in charge!" Peridot leaned forward in excitement. "They're objectively better than us. Every gem has their strengths and weaknesses, but not them. They're absolutely, totally, completely, flawless beings! Especially my Diamond! Yellow Diamond." Steven knew at this point that the thing she snuck down from the moon was bad. He only knows a little bit about the Diamonds from the gems, but it was enough to know they are bad news. "The most perfect, the most reasonable rational efficient decider to ever exist in the known universe!"

He was hoping that Twoie had gotten through to her, but it was obvious that he hadn't. He frowned as he realized something. "You're really loyal to her, aren't you?"

She stared at him, incredulously. "How can I not be? We might have our little truce, but I'll never forsake the gem I was made for!"

That was all he needed to know. Steven pointed behind her. "That's good! Because she's right behind you." The second Peridot turned around to look, Steven snatched the diamond thing out of her hand. As fast as he could, he jumped out of the car, locked it, and shut the door. Peridot had barely managed to turn around by the time he trapped her inside.

"What did you do?" She shrieked as she pulled at the door handle.

Steven held the crystal out while angrily glaring at her. "Save your strength! You're up against one of the earth's greatest trapping technologies. The child safety lock!"

Panic overtook her as she collapsed against the seat. "How could you do this to me? The great and loveable Peridot? I thought we were finally friends like you wanted?" She wailed as she pressed her hands against the window.

Steven huffed as he held up the diamond. "I saw you sneak this off the moon base while no one was looking! What does it do? Tell me!"

She glared at him. "Why don't you ask Twoie? He knew I was going to take it and he let me! He knows I want to use it to contact the Diamonds!" He gasped. Twoie did what?

"So it's a communicator? And you're still trying to contact Homeworld?" He turned it over in his hands. It stung that Twoie willingly let Peridot take something that could contact the Diamonds, but they could trust her not to, right?