19. The Doctor Is In

Peridot curiously peered at Twoie as he hung streamers around the barn. The gems were decorating it for something that Twoie called a 'birthday party,' but she didn't understand why they had to be so quiet about it? The sun had just risen, but everyone was already up and running about. Garnet left to grab the food, Pearl was placing hats and plates on a picnic table, and Amethyst was tying balloons to the table and sides of the barn. She turned at the sound of crackling rocks to see a van and a grey sedan pull into the yard. "Wow. Are birthday parties always this busy?"

Twoie smiled as he floated back down to the ground. A banner stating Happy Birthday! now hung over the entrance to the barn. "Pretty much. It's an important anniversary for humans. We are basically celebrating the day we were born and the fact that we're another year older. Steven will be fourteen today!"

She hummed. "Speaking of Steven, can I go wake him now? This is the time you two are usually done with sleeping, correct?" He nodded, watching as Peridot grinned and ran inside.

"Happy birthday, Twoie!" The young man turned around to see his dad walking towards him with his arms outstretched. They hugged each other before his dad pulled away. "Look at you! How old are you now, Schtu-two?"

"Technically, I'm eighteen years old today." Twoie rubbed the back of his neck in embarrassment as his dad ruffled his hair.

Greg's eyes shone with pride and tears. "My little boy is all grown up."

"Happy birthday, Twoie!" At the call of his name, Twoie turned to see Connie and Dr. Maheswaran walking towards them. A loud shriek, followed by maniacal cackling, made every one pause. Twoie started laughing hysterically while the others peered inside.

"L-looks like- hahaha, looks like Peridot woke Steven up!" Everyone else joined in the laughter, especially when Peridot reappeared from the barn, grinning like a cat that caught the canary.

Once everyone calmed down, Dr. Maheswaran introduced herself to his dad, before returning her attention to Twoie. "I see we came overdressed!" Priyanka laughed as she hugged Twoie. Both had dressed nicely for the party. Connie was wearing a simple red sundress with a sunhat, and Dr. Maheswaran was wearing a white blouse with some black slacks.

Twoie had insisted on inviting the doctor to the party this time around. They had become good friends during the hospital fiasco two months prior. The first Sunday after their talk, Dr. Maheswaran had invited him to a café that she liked in her town. It eventually evolved into biweekly hangouts between the two, as Steven and Connie had gotten bored sitting around in the café during the first outing. "Do you have a place to put presents? I can go grab ours from the car if you do." Dr. Maheswaran looked around to see if there was an established gift area.

Twoie held his hands up. "What? No, you guys didn't have to bring gifts."

The mother brushed him off. "It's a birthday party. Of course, I'm going to bring you something." They heard Connie cheer and noticed that Steven had finally come outside.

"Happy birthday, Steven!" Everyone called out together. Steven went around hugging his family and friends, while Dr. Maheswaran grabbed the gifts from the car and set them on the ground beside the picnic table.

Peridot was asking Connie a multitude of questions about humans, and judging by the starry look in Connie's eyes, she was just as vocal with her own questions about gems. Dad pulled out a familiar-looking cape and crown, cheerfully handing them to Steven. The boy came bouncing over to him. "Twoie! Do you want to wear the cape or the crown? We only have one birthday suit, so I thought we could share it?" Twoie chuckled as he grabbed the cape and velcroed it around his neck. It was short on him, but it felt really nice to wear it again. He hadn't worn it for his birthday for a couple of years.