14. Back To The Kindergarten

AN: Peridot is fun to write! She already has that kinda bossy personality, so it's pretty funny coming up with ideas of what she would've done if Steven were older during this episode. I think she would probably have fewer qualms asking Twoie to do things than Steven since he would look more like a Quartz should do to his height and build.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Well, here we are!" Steven gestured to the Kindergarten with his free hand.

Peridot gripped Steven's hand tighter in anticipation. "Okay, great! Let's go!" She took off, dragging Steven with her.

Twoie's eyes widened as Peridot started walking towards the edge of the cliff. "Whoa, whoa, whoa!" He quickly grabbed them both around their waists.

"What's the big idea?" Peridot shouted as she tried to squirm out of his hold. Twoie jumped from the warp and floated down to the ground.

"Sorry, Peridot. You were about to walk right off the cliff." Peridot huffed in embarrassment but grumbled out a 'thanks' at his quick reaction. Once they landed safely, Twoie let Peridot lead the way.

As the trio trekked through the cliffs, they passed the time with some small talk. "This place just gets worse every time I come here," Steven remarked while looking around.

Peridot's shoulders slumped slightly in agreement. "I know. It's been so poorly managed. It must've been in way better shape when you first emerged."

Steven tilted his head, questioningly at her. "Emerged?"

She nodded. "Yeah, you and Twoie must be some kind of quartz, right? You both must've been made here." Twoie coughed lightly.

"Peridot. Steven and I are not like other gems. We are also half-human. You know, organic?"

She raised her eyebrows at them. "You're some sort of hybrid? How is that possible?"

Steven was surprised to see how uncomfortable Twoie seemed. "W-well," Steven quickly interjected. "The answer for that is a story I like to call the Ballad of Rose and Greg." Twoie sighed in relief as Peridot announced her lack of interest, and they all continued to the control room.

"Are you sure this is safe? Last time I was here, there were a bunch of fusion monsters..." Peridot's eyes lit up when she saw the entrance to the control hub. "Yes. I was checking their progress." Steven and Peridot slid down first. Twoie decided to wait a couple of seconds so that they could move out of the way. He could hear Peridot's voice echoing through the tunnel. "When it became clear that earth was-." Once it was too faint to hear, Twoie slid down the entrance as well. He looked around at the various green wires as he went. It had been so long since he'd last been here. He felt strange being back. "-riments. A gem geo-weapon." Peridot started walking again when she saw Twoie had arrived.

"Did you help?" Steven looked at her nervously. He really hoped she didn't. He sighed in relief when she shook her head.

"Negative. I wasn't lucky enough to be around for that, but I read over a few hundred years of reports! Nyeh-heh-heh." Twoie sighed as he followed them. He forgot how much Peridot valued Homeworld's plans for the colonization of the earth. Hearing her disappointment at her lack of involvement sent a shiver down his spine.

"This is where you need to be, right?" Steven asked as he looked around.

The room was dark, but the greenish glow from the computer and the wires illuminated it enough to see. "Yes. I'm going to have to remove this panel and do a bit of work to restore power to this room so... Can I have my hand back now?"