4. First Day Of Classes And Paranoid Suspicions

Twoie looked over his notes one last time before he turned to face Steven, who was sitting in his desk with his notebook open to the first page. He pretended not to notice the starry-eyed look the kid was giving him. So maybe he accidentally put the glasses on again without realizing, give him a break. They were comfortable, okay?

"Okay, so today we will be learning about math. You did really well when it came to arithmetic and multiplication, but I want to work on your fractions and percentages more." Twoie took a piece of chalk and started writing on the board. He wrote out the rules of fractions, making sure that Steven understood the terms for the nominator and denominator, then moved onto the comparison between fractions, division, and percentages.

Steven took the lesson in stride, quickly being able to answer most questions by working it on paper but had a harder time solving the problems without it. "Do I have to be able to figure these problems out without using paper?" Steven whined.

"It would help to learn how to do it without. This is useful when you're shopping or eating out. Like noticing if you've been charged too much, calculating discounts, or figuring out how much to tip at restaurants." Twoie took an eraser and cleared off the board. "Don't worry about it if you can't do it right now. You'll get it down eventually. Let's move on to angles! These can be great to know for games."

Steven gasped in excitement. "Really?!" What followed was a lengthy discussion on the use of angles in billiards and mini-golf, including drawings. Sometime during the discussion, Pearl and Amethyst had walked into the room. Pearl joined in by conjuring holographic images that detailed whatever scenario the group talked about. Amethyst was on board for shapeshifting to test the situations out in real life. Just as Twoie was about to wrap up their math lesson and move onto history, Garnet appeared from the temple.

"Sorry to cut your lesson short, Twoie, but I have a mission for us." Everyone quickly gathered in front of her. "There is a corrupted gem causing havoc in the Strawberry fields. It is going to be tough to catch, so we need everyone to contribute. Steven. Twoie. That means you as well." Steven jumped up and cheered. "Also, nice glasses, Twoie. They look good on you."

Twoie blushed as he had forgotten he was wearing the glasses. He embarrassedly took them off and put them on the shelf by the couch. "T-thanks, Garnet."

The warp pad barely fit everyone as Steven warped them to the fields. Upon arrival, they could already see the damage done to several large strawberries. Jagged lines were carved into the ground and through several berries, scattering juice all over. They began walking through the fields, looking for any sign of the corrupted gem. "What kind of gem is this, Garnet?" Pearl's question was interrupted when the ground rumbled violently.

"Everyone in the air!" Garnet yelled. She went to grab Steven, but Twoie called out, "Steven! Happy place!" Twoie jumped into the air, floating above the gems, and Steven quickly did the same.

The young kid had a huge grin on his face as he floated. "Awesome! It worked!" Pearl jumped up and grabbed Twoie's hands, which he had extended for her. Amethyst quickly turned into a large falcon and hoisted Garnet into the air. The ground where they were standing was encased promptly in electricity. It sparked along the path, creating gouges in the dirt as it passed. "It's a corrupted Pietersite! We've got to bubble it before it electrocutes us!" Garnet informed them.

As Steven and Twoie were still floating higher, Twoie looked around for the gem. "I can't see it from here, Garnet. We should follow the sparks back to their origin." As he was looking around, he noticed that the gouges looked like half a circle with lines cutting through. "Steven!" Everyone looked at Twoie. "If I were to land at the little triangle underneath me, what fraction of the half-circle am I in?" Steven looked around, catching onto what Twoie was referring to.