55. Hey There, Priyanka

AN: Getting close to the end.

It had been a couple of days since Twoie had returned to Beach City. A hard couple of days spent telling stories and trying to remind Twoie of who he really was, but nothing worked. The stress was beginning to get to everyone. Priyanka was still on emergency leave and had taken to sleeping on the couch. Well, when she was sleeping. Steven sighed as he quietly tiptoed through the house. His dad was still asleep in his room, but Steven wasn't sure what had woken him up this early. He crept down the stairs, noting silently that the couch was empty. He had a feeling he knew where she was. Twoie, although being a corrupted gem, still needed to eat and sleep. The problem was, Twoie was much too large to stay inside the Beach House. Thus, it was with little surprise that Steven found Dr. Maheswaran outside with Twoie.

Twoie was curled up on the sand, head resting on his paws, and facing Dr. Maheswaran. The stressed mother was sitting on the sand and quietly talking with him. From the porch, Steven could tell she was trying to hold back her frustration. They were all struggling with the encroaching hopelessness that Twoie would never return to normal. The kid sighed as he hopped over the railing and landed softly on the sand. "Good morning, Dr. Maheswaran."

She whipped around and looked at him in surprise. "Oh, Steven! What are you doing awake?" Twoie perked up as he got close.

Steven placed a hand on his brother's snout and laughed when Twoie gently nuzzled him. "Something woke me up, and then I couldn't go back to sleep." The mother sighed and patted the spot next to her.

"Yes, that's the same reason why I'm here." Steven sat down next to her. He was surprised when she wrapped an arm around his shoulders and pulled him into a side hug. "I've tried everything I could think of. I was showing him some photos I had on my phone, but so far, nothing has worked."

Steven leaned against her. What was it that they were missing? Why wasn't anything working? "I don't know what we can do anymore. I thought for sure we were connecting with him. He's happy being back here, and we've told him everything. Why isn't he back yet? I just want my brother back." Steven's face flushed as he couldn't hold back a sob. Dr. Maheswaran turned to face the kid and gently wiped the tears from his eyes. Twoie crooned comfortingly at him. He got up and curled around the two like a cat, tail hugging them close.

Priyanka chuckled at the action. "Part of your brother is still here, but I know what you mean." She brushed her hand through his hair. "I think highly of you and your brother, Steven. I've known since you saved me at the hospital that you two have had it rougher than I could've ever imagined." Steven looked at her curiously, though his eyes were still slightly watery. She turned to face Twoie's concerned gaze and patted his scales. "That's why I wanted to be someone you two could rely on. Someone you two can continue to rely on." She smiled at Steven. "We'll get him back, I promise."

The kid hugged her. "I've never really had a mom. I think Twoie and I both think of you as a good mom." Priyanka laughed wetly and hugged him closer.

"Now that's high praise. I'm proud that you two think of me that way." She laughed harder when Twoie nuzzled them both. "Yes, yes. I didn't forget you. These are happy tears, mister." She scratched Twoie's scales, causing him to purr loudly. Steven smiled and they sat together, enjoying the stars and the waves.

Priyanka was used to late nights and early mornings due to her job, but Steven was still young. His necessity for sleep got a hold of him about an hour later when he bumped against her shoulder while nodding off. Steven startled awake, and she chuckled lightly at him. "I think you're ready for bed again."

Steven tiredly shook his head. "I'm not sleepy, though." He yawned as he leaned against her. "I want to stay out here with you guys."

Priyanka smiled at him. "I know that's a lie, but if you want to stay out here, I won't stop you." She brushed her hand through Steven's hair again, and the kid could feel his drowsiness return full force.

As he began nodding off again, he heard her hum. "What song are you humming?"

She smiled and leaned back against Twoie. Of course, Steven would pick up on anything music-related. "There's this song I really like. My husband always plays it for me when I'm feeling sad or stressed. I guess I started humming it subconsciously."

Steven made a noise of wonder. "What kind of music do you like? I've never actually heard you listen to any."

Priyanka laughed lightly and thought to herself. She looked over at Twoie and smiled when it seemed like he was interested in her music choice too. "I'm a bit old-fashioned myself. Acoustic and orchestra. Those are my favorite songs to listen to." She looked out at the waves. "Have you ever heard of 'Hey There, Delilah?'" Steven nodded his head. That was an old song he remembered hearing on the radio a couple of times. "Well, Doug has always been very charming. I was having a bad day, medical school was very stressful, and I had just completed a test that I thought, for sure, I had failed." She giggled at the thought. "Doug came to my apartment with a bouquet of roses and a radio. I thought he was silly as he played the instrumental track to 'Hey There, Delilah.'" She couldn't hold back her laughter. "Imagine my surprise when he changed the name from 'Delilah' to 'Priyanka' as he sang it." Steven watched her with stars in his eyes. "That goof really cheered me up that day."

Steven felt warm as he closed his eyes. It was such a cute story, and it meant so much to him that she decided to share that fond moment. "Do you think you could sing it? I don't remember how it goes."

Priyanka blushed but decided it wouldn't be that embarrassing. "Okay, just this once, though. I don't make a habit of singing." She thought of the words for a moment before taking a deep breath. "Hey there, Priyanka, what's it like in Empire City. I'm a thousand miles away, but girl, tonight you look so pretty as you do. Time Square can't shine as bright as you, I swear it's true." She smiled as Steven relaxed. Priyanka didn't notice Twoie straighten up and stare at her. "Hey there, Priyanka, don't you worry about the distance. I'm right there if you get lonely; give this song another listen. Close your eyes. Listen to my voice it's my disguise, I'm by your side." Steven's breathing began to even out, and Dr. Maheswaran knew he was falling asleep. She looked back up and almost jumped when she saw how intently Twoie was staring at her. Huh. That was odd. Was it the... singing?

She watched him intently as she continued. "Oh, it's what you do to me." Twoie made a low rumble in his throat. "Oh, it's what you do to me." His eyes widened, and the pink diamonds became pinpricks of light. "Oh, it's what you do to me." The corrupted half-gem whined, and his claws gripped the sand. "oh, it's what you do to me." Priyanka gasped as Twoie quietly tried to croon out the melody she was singing. That was it! She didn't even think when she shook Steven awake.

The poor kid jumped in surprise. "What? What's going on? What's happening?" Steven blinked at the look his mom gave him.

She was smiling, even though tears were beginning to stream down her eyes. She laughed happily as Twoie tried to trill out the melody again. Steven's eyes widened as Priyanka pulled him into a hug. "Singing! That's the one thing we haven't tried!"