Chapter Three

I heard everything you said, when I was out. I couldn't move or even open my eyes, but I heard and felt everything, when you stroked and kissed my head, and when you were reminding me of the good times back at the prison." I say to Carl as he gives me some water. 

“Really?” he says, unbelieving. 

“Yeah, I heard everything. I tried to scream, but I couldn’t move or speak. I was crying out but you all couldn’t see. I even felt Maggie taking my pulse. I think one of those assholes did hit me,” I say. 

“Well, let’s return the favour. Come on,” says Carl, helping me up. “I love you.” I throw my arms around his neck and smash my lips to his.

“I love you more,” I smile at him. Then I remember where we are, and the smile drips from my face.

“Sorry to break the moment, guys,” Maggie says, “but we gotta get back to work. Give those assholes what they deserve.” I start to take my necklace off and walk over to the part I was working on before, but to my surprise, it isn’t there.

“Hey, my piece of wood is gone. Did someone finish it?” I hear a number of no’s and nope’s and I’m confused. Maybe one of the guys took it. “Okay everyone, I don’t want us to have to carry loads of food, it won’t be useful try’na get outta here. Let eat most of what we have left.”

We finish the cereal and our granola bars, but keep the water and the dried spaghetti. We have some cough drops too. Before we came to Terminus, I hid some of my sharpened butter knives and forks in the lining of my bag. Can’t be too careful. I give them to certain members of the group. My mother swallows two Ibuprofen and one Percocet, trying to keep her wits about her and not pass out from the pain.

Sammy’s POV

As we follow the tracks, we come across another Terminus sign, which means we’re getting close. I trail behind as Carol carries Judith, and she and Tyreese talk about what to do when we get to Terminus. I notice a walker come out of the trees, with handcuffs stuck to it’s wrist with blood. “I got it.” I say and Tyreese looks worried. “Don’t worry, I’m not gonna turn into Lizzie, if that’s what you’re worried about.” I say, drawing my knife. “These things have to be put down, they have to be put out of their misery.”

I jump to stab the walker in the head but fall to the ground with it. I see that it’s dead and pull and haul to retrieve my knife. It’s like my lucky charm since Kaitlyn gave me it. I happen to look into the tree line and see a huge herd heading towards us. I turn my head to Carol and Tyreese. More, I whisper.

We hurry down a small slope, Tyreese cradling baby Judith’s head. The mass of walkers stumble towards us, showing no sign of changing direction. Then off in the distance, both us and the corpses hear what sounds like gunfire. No one could be crazy enough to fire a gun out here, could they?

The walkers start to wander off in the direction of the gunfire. We wait until they’re all in front of us and then we stay low but follow them.