Chapter Fifteen

I hug my mum and my sister goodbye before we get in the truck. We stand and wait as Michonne and Carl close the church doors, then we hear thumping, as they hammer a big chunk of wood into place. After we hear that reassuring sound, we load into the vehicle. I sit down next to Noah, and Sasha sits next to Tyreese. The journey is spent with all of us cleaning our weapons, loading them, adjusting silencers, etc. and making sure that we’re all prepared. After a short while, we enter the city. Daryl stops outside an old warehouse building. We clear the surrounding area then the inside.

We start to figure out exactly what to do. Rick suggests that we go after dark when the spotter won’t see us. “We cut the locks on one of the stairways, Take it to the fifth floor. I open the door, Kaitlyn finds Beth and gives her a weapon, and Daryl takes the guard out,” Rick says.

“How?” Tyreese interjects.

 “This is all about keeping this quiet, keeping the upper hand. They’re not expecting us. From there we fan out. Knives and silenced weapons. We need to be fast,” Rick says, drawing crosses on the floor. “Tyreese and Sasha, take them. Daryl, you take care of whoever’s in the kitchen. I got Dawn. They’re smart…” I see Tyreese draw Daryl a look. “The rest of them will give up then. It’ll be six on three. Seven on three once we get a weapon to Beth…”

“Twelve on three. The wards will help,” Noah adds. Tyreese takes a deep breath.

“That’s best case. What’s worst case?” Tyreese asks. “All it takes is one of those cops comin’ down the hall at the wrong time, then it’s not quiet. All hands on deck, we’re talking about a lot of bullets flying around.”

“If that’s what it takes,” Sasha says.                                                                                     

“It’s not,” Tyreese says. “If we get a couple of her cops, alive, out here, we do an even trade. Theirs for ours. Everybody goes home.”

“And I get it. It might work.” Rick stands up. “This will work.”

“Nah, that will too,” Daryl butts in. He turns to Noah. “You say this Dawn, she’s just try’na keep things together, right?” he asks.

“Tryin’ and doin’ are two different things,” Noah says.

******

We work it out so that we take two of the police officers out of Grady, and we do a fair, even, trade. The cops for Beth and Carol. Noah is going to go down an alley and fire some shots, getting the cops to tail him, then we hold them. Use their radios to contact Dawn, who’s leading Grady, trying her hardest to keep it going. Even trade, just like Tyreese said.

We get started right away. Sasha and I are the best shots at a long distance, so we cover Noah, making sure that no corpses get on him. The officers take the bait in minutes and they actually believe that they’ve caught Noah.

“Where were those dead ones you were shooting at?” one of them asks as they put a zip tie around Noah’s wrists. Just as they do, we emerge from the alley opposite. I cut the ties off of Noah right away and Noah and Sasha tie up the cops. Rick starts to explain why we have them, when another car pulls up and both of the officers jump into it.

We run after them and find the car ditched at an old water tower. The most disturbing thing about this situation isn’t the officers escaping and possibly ruining both of our plans, but the worst thing I see is the walkers. They’re melted onto the tarmac and it takes me a few moments to figure out why. The Napalm bombs! Them I see her.

Someone… Something I never thought I’d see again. It’s my cousin, Rhiannon. At least I think it is. The walker lies on the ground, moaning at me. The long dark hair is a feature that really makes me sure it was her. Then I see it. The love heart locket that she always wore around her neck. I used to have one exactly the same but I lost it in a walker attack. The pain inside me that I’d been able to dismiss before because I hadn’t saw my family become one of them is suddenly there. I feel so guilty that we didn’t make it to see my family before everything happened. “I’m so sorry,” I whisper to the thing that used to be her. I pull my knife from my belt and drive it into the walkers skull.