Chapter Thirty-Two

It turns out that Olivia keeps the extra clothes for new arrivals, some at the storehouse and some at her own house. I ask Enid where would be a better choice. "Your group will probably go to the storehouse but if I'm honest, the best clothes are back at Olivia's. I think they're keeping them for a celebration, like if the world suddenly gets better." I laugh. "They don't realize that this is how life is now." The guys come with us to Olivia's even though they don't know the first thing about clothes. Neither do I, to be honest.

The clothes are stored in giant crates, which are about two feet in height, in an upstairs room. We open a few. My hands skim all of the fabric in awe. Enid has Ron and Mikey drag a full length mirror into her room from the bathroom. I pick out a large chicken costume from one of the further back crates. "Don't suppose it's a fancy dress party?" I ask with a giggle. I rummage through the crate and it's all costumes and funny hats and masks. "Here," I say, plonking a cowboy hat on Ron's head and a floppy sun hat on Mikey's head. "Now the three of you match." There's a laugh from the group. Carl, Ron and Mikey start looking through the fancy dress crate and goofing around.

I find a box full of dresses and start exploring. "I don't think any of these will match my combat boots." I remark.

"This will," Carl states and he pulls a khaki army-style jacket from the fancy dress box. "Just add a belt and voilà!" I laugh at him.

"Yeah, okay. Will I get a hold of a toy gun too?"

"There are some other shoes..." Enid starts as she pulls a small box out of a corner. There is only one pair of shoes that fit me; a pair of pale blue flats with a buckle.

"I don't know what will match these though..."

"These might..." Enid says as she starts pulling armfuls of blue and white fabric from the dress bin. I hold a few up to my body in front of the mirror and look. The ones she gave me were either too tight, too loose, too big or too small. I sigh and look back in the box and see a pale blue lace dress.

"What about this one?" I say as I pick it out. It looks like it might fit me. It reaches my knees, with a tight bodice and a loose skirt. My eyes drift to my abdomen. There won't be anything to see anyway. I'm only about halfway through my first trimester, so I have six or seven weeks before I start to show. Six or seven weeks to figure out what to do. I don't realize that I'm stroking my stomach until Enid clears her throat. I'm snapped back to reality. "I think I'll wear this. Your turn, Enid, then we can go to school." I start digging.

"We don't have school today

"We don't have school today. It's Saturday," Enid says.

"Oh. I forgot. I'm not used to the days of the week."

"Yeah. But seriously, I don't need a dress. I'm fine." Enid argues.

"Come on. I'm not gonna be the only one in a dress."

"But-" she persists.

"Please?" I ask. Enid sighs. Finally she nods her head. Carl, Mikey and Ron leave to go and do whatever and we stay to find a dress.