14

"You ungrateful bitch! How dare you spend my money!" Your father slammed his had against the cabinet in the kitchen causing the wood to splinter.

"We needed food! (Y/N) hasn't had a decent meal in days, the schools been calling you know!" Your mom yelled back at your father.

"Screw the school. That was my beer money!" You father took a plate and chucked it your mother. The plate missed and shattered against the fridge.

Meanwhile you were in the hallway listening to your parents argue about you again, tears streaming down your face.

"Beer! Beer! Beer! That's all you ever think about, we have a child you know." You mother bent down to pick up the pieces of broken plate.

"Don't talk to me like that you whore!" Your father stomped over to your mother grabbing her by the hair.

You turned away to head to your room not wanting to listen to how the fights always ended.

Your foot caught on the rug causing you to fall over.

"What was that? Was that you (Y/N)!?" You tried to get up quickly before your father got to you.

"Leave her alone! (Y/N) sweetie go to your room!" Your mother grabbed onto your father's forearm trying to slow him down so you could escape.

"Stay where you are! I'm your father listen to me!" Your father took his belt off and wrapped it around his hand.

Terrified you just sat there as the man you called your dad stalked closer to you. Your mom struggle to get him to stop.

"GET TO YOUR ROOM!"

~~~~

You woke up in a cold sweat, your whole body trembling and tears running down your face.

Royal was at your side giving you gentle licks as she tried to calm you down.

After take some deep breaths you felt calmer but still to jittery to fall back asleep. You checked your phone seeing that it was 5:25 in the morning, too early to be up but you weren't going to fall back anytime soon.

The sun was just starting to rise a pale orange glow flowing into your room, giving you just enough light to see.

"How about a walk?" You asked Royal, your puppy giving a happy yip in reply. You rifled through your drawers looking for something to wear, you settled on a black hoodie with a sun on it and pair of blue jean shorts.

You grabbed your phone, hesitating on whether or not you should text Ace and see if he wanted to come with you.

Why am I even thinking about him right now?

You texted him anyways and to your suprise he replied back. You were expecting him to be sleeping at this hour.

Royal was already waiting for at the door her leash in her mouth as she waited for you to slip on your shoes.

"Alright let's go." You clipped Royal's leash onto her collar and opened the door for her.

Ace was already at your front door Chopper happily wagging his tail next to him.

"I didn't know you got up this early?" Ace yawned as he followed along side you. The male had haphazardly thrown on a hoodie, he was still wearing his pajama pants, and his hair was sticking up all over the place.

"I don't." Was all you said, your eyes focused on the ground in front of you. Your feet automatically taking you to the dirt path you and Royal had found.

A sudden warmth flooded around you as Ace wrapped his arm around you, pulling you into a half hug.

"You wanna talk about it?" Ace asked, his hand was rubbing up and down your arm gently.

"I- " you paused decided that you didn't want to tell Ace about your childhood. "It was just a bad dream. I'll be fine."

Ace studied your face not really believing you but decided to drop it when he saw you try to force a smile on your lips.

"I haven't been here in a while." Ace chuckled as he looked at the path you guys were now on. "Sabo, Luffy and I used to come here all the time when we were kids."

"What changed?" You asked glad to be on a different topic.

"I guess we just got older, Sabo and I are both busy with our classes and Luffy is usually off getting into trouble with his friends." Ace bent down to let Chopper off his leash, you doing the same with Royal.

You watched the dogs for a bit the two of them chasing after each other. Chopper hopped into the pond, halting Royal in her movements; your dog hated getting dirty.

"Heh I remember one time Luffy fell into that pond, the dumb kid the he was gonna drown in a foot of water." Ace laughed at the memory.

"Hey you never know, he could have landed on his face and not have been able to get up." You tried to keep a straight face but it was quickly broken as you started to laugh along with Ace.

"Good you're finally smiling." Ace hummed as he looked down at you. You hadn't realized that you had been frowning this whole time.

"T- Thank you for coming out with me." You could feel your cheeks starting to burn and your heart start to beat faster.

"No problem I'm always here for you."