SIXTEEN

"Reapers," the man told us. "That's what they're called. They appear only at night, and kill for fun. When they find you, they'll leave no mercy. You'd be dead before sunrise."

"You can stop them," Andy said. "You're a Kane."

"How the hell do you know so much?" the man seemed surprised. "Do you know my name?"

"You're Zac. Zac Kane," Andy said confidently.

"I'm freaking out here," Zac blew out a breath. "Unfortunately less than a handful know that the stories are actually real, that they aren't some kind of fairytale."

"I've believed the entire time. I've seen them, and this isn't the first time," Andy said.

My mouth dropped open. How could Andy have seen those creatures before?

When? Where?

"They've been roaming the night as long as I can remember. Nothing can bring them away. We've tried, but failed in the process," Zac explained. "My brother and his children...they risked their lives to fight them. And they failed, that was why they had to move out of town. They were running away. The reapers were after them. After the kids."

"Ezra Kane, my nephew, he was injured badly in battle. He knew he was being hunted down, but he didn't want to leave town. I have no idea why he would want to stay."

"Wait, Ezra? Ezra Kane?" I queried instantly. "He didn't leave?"

"You know him?" Zac raised his dark brows. "Ezra never said anything about any girl. And yes, he stayed. He comes to visit very often."

"He does?" I felt a sense of relief wash over me. "And he's okay?"

"Never been naughtier," Zac nodded. "Are you his..."

"I'm a close friend who's wondering how he had just disappeared overnight."

"That must be the night when they went head on with the reapers."

"What...what are you guys? What are you...Kanes? How are you people so...brave?" I asked, curiosity overwhelming me.

"Our ancestors built this very town, and since then our family has sworn to protect it with every drop of our blood. We were the ones who warned the townspeople of what was out there. Warned them to stay inside before the sun set and darkness set in. Because we swore to protect our people, we tried everything to stop the murders. Tried everything to get rid of the reapers," Zac let out a low sigh. "But to no avail."

"They've gone out of control," Zac continued. "I'm afraid this town might be doomed."

I took Andy's hand, and we sat there in silence. I had never felt such sadness and fright in my life.

Where was Mum and Dad? Was Damon okay in there? Where had Ezra gone to? Was this town really doomed? Were we all going to die?

Police sirens interrupted my thoughts, their shrilling wails making the only sound in the eerily quiet town.