THIRTY SIX

How was it even possible? How could a reaper take the form of a human being?

"You're a reaper," I said impetuously, and Damon's baneful grin grew wider. "You're one of them."

"Ah, so we've got a thinker, I see," Damon said, and brought his hands together. "Very good, Haley. You have cracked the case."

"No," Ezra shook his head. "It can't be. How is this possible?"

"It is as real as it is," Damon said. "You see, reapers have this ability, sort of like a superpower. We get inside your heads, and make you see what we want you to see. So, we reapers really are everywhere. You wouldn't know, but the person whom you thought was human might turn out to be a reaper. Even the person closest to you."

"You see, I was playing a game with you all. Getting inside your head, Haley, was the easiest way. Because you were replaying memories of me in your head, I could instantly connect with you."

"You," I gasped in horror. "You're the one who's been talking to me. The one who's been torturing me. The one who tried to kill me."

"Very clever," Damon's words were tainted with sarcasm. "And I'm not the least bit sorry for doing that to you. Although you really could have just died and not go through all this misery." He scrunched up his face.

"What the freaking hell do you want?" Ezra lost his cool. "What do you want us to do?"

"You humans were just like chess pieces, with me going inside your heads so easily and controlling you whole lot...I was surprised you found out what I was, Haley. That I am impressed."

"Oh, and what do I want?" Damon stood, reholstering the murder weapon. He began to step towards us, and with every stride, his features began to change.

First his eyes began glow a luminous yellow, then his facial features began to distort. Claws replaced his once-slender fingers, and his once-muscular arms and legs shrunk into scrawny limbs. 

"I want you humans to have an eternity of misery," the reaper dropped down on all fours as it crept across the carpet.

"I just want to torture you all to death."