THIRTY FIVE

"Well, you look hella surprised," Damon laughed. "Maybe cause I'm already standing on my feet? Or the fact that there's a dead body in the room and I'm the one holding the gun?"

"What the hell did you do, Damon?" Ezra took a step forward. "What the hell did you do?"

"I shot her," Damon said nonchalantly. "She didn't even have the chance to scream."

"You son of a b-!" my mother hollered. 

"Why...why?" I spoke, sobs racking my body. "How could you even do this?"

"What do you mean, why?" the once-honest guy I knew smirked at me. There was a dark aura surrounding him-the same darkness I had felt when he had saved me from the thugs in the alley just a week ago. 

Now I knew why the thugs had been so terrified. They were terrified of Damon.

"Ah, you humans are just so stupid," Damon scoffed. 

You humans? What was he talking about?

"You all think you can escape us, huh?" he sounded creepier by the second. What the hell was he talking about? "You think you can just pack your bags, and pretend everything's gonna return to normal. But guess what, it's not."

"What-" Ezra's forehead creased into a frown.

"Oh, now you want an explanation," Damon raised his hands in the air in frustration. Then he let out a sigh, and plopped down on the red armchair, as if nothing in the world mattered to him.

"How the hell did you heal so quickly? And why did you just kill Haley's aunt?" Ezra asked-I knew curiosity was pulsing through his veins.

"I was never injured in the first place, brother," Damon spat. "You coming for help and all that? Asking me to protect Haley? That was the stupidest thing anyone could ever do. It was like offering prey to a ravenous predator. And Haley's aunt? She's just another one of my victims. So was her grandmother."

My blood boiled, and I felt angry tears streaming out of my eyes.

"I despised you from start, Ezra," Damon crossed one leg over the other, completely ignoring my reaction. "Do you know why?"

"I gave you everything, treated you like a brother. How could you do this? How could you be like this?"

"You were never a brother to me," my aunt's murderer growled. His fist clenched around the revolver. "I hated you Kanes. I've always wanted to kill you all when I had the chance."

"I've hated you all ever since you claimed our land as your own."

At that sentence, my heart stopped.

You humans? Victims? Hated the Kanes? Our land?

That could only mean one thing.

I didn't want to say it, or even think it. But realization sunk in, and I could feel myself getting woozy.

Damon-the man who I thought I could trust, the man who I thought had saved my life, the man who had murdered my aunt and grandmother in cold blood-he wasn't a man after all.

He was a reaper.